Helmet Cameras. Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Do any of them have the option to wrap around recording? Such that it never runs out of space, it simply overwrites the older clip?
Go Pro Hero 3 can do that but as a 64Gb SD card will hold 9hr of video its a setting I have not bothered with

BSRU

A Human Being
Do any of them have the option to wrap around recording? Such that it never runs out of space, it simply overwrites the older clip?
The newer Sony's have a loop record option, also accepts 64Gb cards for long record times.
If no chance of rain, I use an external battery which lasts over 10 hours recording 4K footage.

Tin Pot

Guru
The newer Sony's have a loop record option, also accepts 64Gb cards for long record times.
If no chance of rain, I use an external battery which lasts over 10 hours recording 4K footage.
Cheers, I was thinking from a security point of view - you don't want to download every commute, but you want it recording constantly.

RCITGuy

With the higher capacity 1180mAh GoPro battery pack and wireless control switched off my Hero 3 on 1080p 30fs manages 2hr 43 min 10sec.
Ditto, I can just barely get 2.5hr out of my Hero 3, with the extended battery pack on the back of it and I never enable the Wi-Fi anyway, but charging it is odd, because if I try to plug it in with the extended battery on it, only 1 of the 2 items will charge, sometimes neither will charge, so have to be seperated and charged individually. Very annoying.

Mine does.
I have the Mk1 HD Hero, so nearly 4 years old now. Set on 720p 30fps, it will run continuously for 3hrs and a little bit. On 1080p 30fps, it runs about 2.5hrs.

The new ones should run for 3 hours at 1080p. Make sure that wifi/bluetooth/screen are all switched OFF to achieve that though. Leaving those on will chop your battery life in half. Recording in 4k will also mean shorter run times, as will recording in higher fps rates.
Screen? I dont have a screen on any of the GoPro's.. Unless you mean that tiny little LCD thing that actually tells you that its recording?

I'd be lucky to get a 80 minutes or so with my old GoPro when using 1080p mode(not in PRO mode).
Thats pretty good for the camera on its own, with no outside power or extra battery.

I'm definately looking forward to the Cycliq Fly12 coming out... I'm amazed nobody has done it before until now...

RCITGuy

[QUOTE 3934091, member: 9609"]I am curious how these bike cams record, if it is a 1 hour ride does that create one massive file (6gig?) to download and then how would you work on such a file ?

I have a dash cam thing in my van, it does 5 minute files, and overwrites the oldest, but even a 5 min 500meg file takes a couple of minutes to download and about 10 to get into an editor.[/QUOTE]

Hiya Reiver

They all seem to record smaller chunks, so for example, the Virb does 28 minut chunks and will just keep going until the card is full, and then overwrite them as it needs, so you can work with the smaller files.

The Fly6 and the GoPro also do the same things. I forgoet the file sizes of those 2, but I have boxes of these things for bikes, car dash, RC planes, Quadcopters ewtc and they all do the same thing..

They seem to average about 30 minutes roughly..

andyfraser

Über Member
They all seem to record smaller chunks, so for example, the Virb does 28 minut chunks and will just keep going until the card is full, and then overwrite them as it needs, so you can work with the smaller files.
I just tried this and once the card is full my VIRB just stops recording saying it's out of space.

As a project for the winter, I am using my old my 5-year-old Drift X170 on a cycle and shoulder mount to record my rides and walks. The Verb looks very much like the Drift but having seen the newer Drifts I am tempted to splash a bit of pension money. Must admit the X170 gives excellent shots and works on two AA batteries. Anybody compared the two.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I got a Virb last week and I'm very happy with it. Great price for what I got I think.

I algo got myself a mounting device for the handlebars but I find it a bit bulky so I'm in two minds whether to keep it or not.
I have been mounting the camera on a rubber mounting thingy that I got to mount a torch. I prefer that to the garmin mounting. It secures the camera very well and I can change the angle (up or down) easily enough.

I read about using the garmin mount thingy under the bars.... maybe that it's worth a trial.
BTW, the garmin bar mount was from Wiggle for £15.49 I think..... best price I found.

Top Bottom