Helmet Cams.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrewsdad

Hi Guys, Having been out yesterday on a lovely steady cycle, seeing a traffic island in the near distance I decided to adopt the primary position on the road, apparently a not so bright boy racer didn't share my enthusiasm and over took both me and the island only to cut in seriously close to my front wheel, hopefully close enough to hear that I questioned his parentage, any how it got me thinking about it's time I got a cam, would recording this have made the local constabulary do anything about it? And what would you guys recommend, at a reasonable cost. Many thanks.

Debade

Über Member
I'm writing from the states but a friend had a camera on his handlebar and got hit by the mirror of the car just the other day. I expect the camera is going to serve him VERY well. (I understand Europe is not as litigious as rhe USA)t

After arriving at the scene, the police officer was asking about where he was riding on the road (it does not matter in our state. A bike can 'take the lane'). And, the officer did not know about the 3 foot passing regulation (must allow at least 3 feet when passing a bicycle).

The good news is when you see the tape, there is not doubt what happen. The camera picks up the car mirror folding back due to the force hitting the cyclist. The road was very narrow and a line of cars were in the oncoming lane waiting to get to the stop sign. There was no way a car could pass safely All on tape eliminates the "I said/he said". I am now considering getting one.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I got hit by a boy racer a month ago. I'm going through the usual legal procedures. My solicitors have asked if i was wearing a headcam and if so it'd be very beneficial for my claim for compensation. Sadly i wasn't wearing a headcam,but luckily i have a very good witness statement to back me up. My next cycling acquisition is going to be a helmet camera.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm writing from the states but a friend had a camera on his handlebar and got hit by the mirror of the car just the other day. I expect the camera is going to serve him VERY well. (I understand Europe is not as litigious as rhe USA)t

After arriving at the scene, the police officer was asking about where he was riding on the road (it does not matter in our state. A bike can 'take the lane'). And, the officer did not know about the 3 foot passing regulation (must allow at least 3 feet when passing a bicycle).

The good news is when you see the tape, there is not doubt what happen. The camera picks up the car mirror folding back due to the force hitting the cyclist. The road was very narrow and a line of cars were in the oncoming lane waiting to get to the stop sign. There was no way a car could pass safely All on tape eliminates the "I said/he said". I am now considering getting one.
An advantage you have is the "Three Foot Rule", which any video footage can prove/disprove was broken.
Harder, but not impossible here to get the camera to disprove whether the same room was left.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Only fix a camera to your helmet in a manufacturer-approved mount, else you may be doing the equivalent of putting a spike in themiddle of a car steering wheel.

I ffavour a £20 7dayshop camera on my handlebar because I view it as much more likely I'll lose or destroy it than it'll help in a crash. If it's visible to the rear, it makes most overtakes on one road much wider. Still get 1 incompetent per hundred, though.

Top Bottom