Helmet choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would like one with a rear light on it - built in so no sticky out bits to get caught on branches
and - ideally a visor that goes in front of my glasses to catch all the random bugs and stones - and protect from bright sun

probably a pipe dream

also - is it worth paying more for MIPS - or is it just hype

Planet X have one with a built in rear led

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
.... ideally a visor that goes in front of my glasses to catch all the random bugs and stones - and protect from bright sun...

also - is it worth paying more for MIPS - or is it just hype

Not many helmets have eye visors but the Giro Air Attack is one that does, (and it's a smart looking thing). They're quite dear though, £100 or so.

I've no view on MIPS, my current helmet (POC Octal) has it but I bought it for how comfortable it was rather than MIPS being a factor. I suspect there's probably some minor safety benefit mixed in with a bit of a drive to make more money, so opin will be divided I'm sure.

Last edited:
Planet X have one with a built in rear led
i hope it's not very strong.
Poor place to put a light in my view.
And aren't they usually powered by a watch battery or built-in USB thingy?
Am afraid I see them as gimmicky.
Should be no problem to fit two good rears to the bike.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've no view on MIPS, my current helmet (POC Octal) has it but I bought it for how comfortable it was rather than MIPS being a factor. I suspect there's probably some minor safety benefit mixed in with a bit of a drive to make more money, so opin will be divided I'm sure.
My Giro has it and I have no real clue what it does, something to do with rotational forces?

I also don't want to find out what it does first hand - or what may happen without it.. Bl00dy helmets!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Giro has it and I have no real clue what it does, something to do with rotational forces?

I also don't want to find out what it does first hand - or what may happen without it.. Bl00dy helmets!

Yep that's it. the MIPS is basially in inner cage that allows the helmet to rotate slightly on impact. Whether MIPS is beter or not, who knows.

Ideally you'd try a lid on before buying, but that's not possible. The Planet X sale ends today, so the lids will be a bit more expensive for a while, although will come down again. I've been waiting till needed a 'big' order - got 3 lids plus a load of consumables coming for my Ribble re-build as postage is £6.99.

Top Bottom