Helmet is hurting my head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Bought from a shop, take it back, tell them they got it wrong

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
You need to file down the areas of your head where the helmet feels tight.
Or gently tap with a hammer, like this.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/being-furloughed-and-keeping-myself-occupied.263585/post-6047624

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Umm I didn’t say a word. I’ve been out cycling in my rather comfortable Kask Mojito :whistle:

That said I should have worn my Uvex which goes far better with that bike but would have clashed with the jersey I’m wearing :whistle:

Apologies, it was @fossyant
You have similarly dingy avatars. 😄
That said, I know you'd have said something along those lines so at least I'm not falsely accusing you of saying something controversial. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure how the shop got it wrong, he’s the one who tried it on. It might be the right size if they measured his head but just not the right shape. I need quite a round helmet. Giro Road helmets are too narrow for me as are Catlike for example.

That’s like saying a shop sold the wrong shoes, right length and width but just the wrong shape. I doubt they’ll take it back given he’s worn it today on a hot sweaty day!

Trigger369

Über Member
Started off with a met brand lid it was uncomfortable and didn't fit right ,straps always in the way . Next was a planetx lid .it was the same . Then a giro lid it was better .it fitted but didn't like the straps either i was always playing with them .glad I had a crash and had to replace that .now I'm on a specialized prevail. Havnt wore it out yet as I'm still recovering but it fitted well in the shop . My point is the old helmets were all cheap and didn't fit me we well .so hopefully this expensive one does .

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have an odd shaped head; I found this out years ago when trying to find a motorcycle helmet that was comfortable. Shoei and Arai are the only brands that seem to fit properly. I've never felt the need to find out what cycle helmets are comfortable.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

The brand of the helmet is specialized I don't know if this helps.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have an odd shaped head; I found this out years ago when trying to find a motorcycle helmet that was comfortable. Shoei and Arai are the only brands that seem to fit properly. I've never felt the need to find out what cycle helmets are comfortable.
I had exactly the opposite experience, I went out a good few years ago with the intention of buying a Shoei or Arai, ended up coming back with a Nitro, I hated the fit of the other two.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's head shape that's really key. I've got headaches and tight spots from Catlike, Specialized, Bell... all too tight near the temples once they're cinched up. I've literally only ever got on with Giro or more recently POC.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had exactly the opposite experience, I went out a good few years ago with the intention of buying a Shoei or Arai, ended up coming back with a Nitro, I hated the fit of the other two.
My problem is quite a large head, with a bulge at the back. Can hardly get some XL helmets over my head. And others too tight at temples, or on the back of the head. Unfortunately it sometimes doesn't become painful until after a few hours of wearing and then it is agony. I found that to my cost once after buying a flip face lid while on a tour of France. After a few hours I couldn't wear it and had to leave it at the side of the road. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive helmet (by motorbike helmet standards) and I had kept my original lid!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The brand of the helmet is specialized I don't know if this helps.
As several people have said different brands and designs work for different people. I'm the same.

I'd like to throw in another thought. Do you wear glasses of any sort? My helmet fits well and is perfectly comfortable. I also wear a cycle cap.

Sometimes I wear my cycling glasses, others I don't. If I don't position these properly they can be too tight on my head and it hurts in the area you describe. As soon as I take the glasses off the discomfort goes.

For me the best position is to wear glasses over, rather than under the helmet straps. This forces the arms wider apart and relieves the pressure on the head.

If the arms are under the strap they tend to get caught by the edge of my cap and inside of the helmet and pushed in to the sides of my head.

Top Bottom