Helmet is hurting my head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

Today was the first time I went on a long bike ride wearing my new helmet after wearing it for about an hour it hurts my head in both sides towards the back of the head. I tried loosening it and repositioning it a bit forward and then back. But it persisted hurting my head.

Why is this happening does anyone have any tips? How tightly should my helmet be worn and should how should i position my helmet how low at the back? Is the helmet the problem or am I not wearing it properly?

When i take it off my head no longer hurts so it is not a headache.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You ideally need to try them on first as some head shapes don't work well with certain helmets. Your helmet shouldn't be tipped back, you need it to cover your forehead. Does it have an adjusting dial on the rear. Needs to be tight enough it doesn't move, but not too tight.

davidphilips

Veteran
Some helmets just dont fit some heads, sorry can not give any tips apart from try before you buy, bit like saddles, one type of saddle may be great for a cyclist and another cyclist might just find it very uncomfortable?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

You ideally need to try them on first as some head shapes don't work well with certain helmets. Your helmet shouldn't be tipped back, you need it to cover your forehead. Does it have an adjusting dial on the rear. Needs to be tight enough it doesn't move, but not too tight.
In the shop it was comfortable it has an adjusting dial in the back

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Vickster is right, it's most likely that it's just the wrong shape for your head. Hopefully not... do check it's not dialled up too tight though, and yes, don't wear it on the back of your head. The front rim should sit just above your eyebrows.
Like so:

20200626_214042.jpg

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Vickster is right, it's most likely that it's just the wrong shape for your head. Hopefully not... do check it's not dialled up too tight though, and yes, don't wear it on the back of your head. The front rim should sit just above your eyebrows.
Like so:

View attachment 532624
Ok thank you

vickster

Legendary Member
Like so:

View attachment 532624
Umm I didn’t say a word. I’ve been out cycling in my rather comfortable Kask Mojito :whistle:

That said I should have worn my Uvex which goes far better with that bike but would have clashed with the jersey I’m wearing :whistle:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Helmets and saddles are probably the hardest things to get right.
There are certain brands that I simply can’t get comfortable in.
I’m currently wearing a Kask and it’s probably the most comfortable (as in I forget it’s there) helmet I’ve used:becool:
Some brands I can tell straight away that they’re not for me.

Drago

Legendary Member
Giro dont fit the shape of my noggin well and can hurt quite quickly. Uvex seem to for me the best. Daft fact is the shape or your head and your lid probably aren't right for one another , and the only cure is a new lid.

Top Bottom