Helmet lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Has any one any experience of using a light attached to your helmet? I was thinking something like the Cateye EL410 which has the option to mount to your helmet. Maybe even a head torch like a Petzl that you can use for climbing/hiking etc?
Thinking of an additional light to be able to see things like what gear your in, what time it is, or to get a better view of where ever you turn your head etc.

yenrod

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have used the EL410 on my helmet in the past, but I've now swapped to having smaller (lighter) lights on:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14832
They aren't the brightest in the world ... but useful to see things on the handlebars or putting the bike away in the shed... but wouldn't light the way at all. The EL410 is definately alot brighter but heavier. Depends on what you want it for. I found the EL410 good for looking at drivers in side roads... not sure they would notice the little light.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yes, i have some. I have ones which are just one LED though.
This is it i think, looks pretty much the same.
The only problem is that the front one is pointed up. It wouldnt fit on my helmet right, so i had to use cable ties. It needs one looping it to the helmet and one pulling it down. The rear one sits in the back vent and is great. You can see them from a distance, and the flash is fast and bright.
My mum and dad have seem me with them on and said that you could see them when i was in traffic because my head was higher then cars.
I use them with 2 front lights and 2 rear lights.
When the ones on the helmet are flashing you can look down when it is sort of dark, and if you angle it right you can see the cycle computer.
They cant really be used for seeing, so i use my Cateye light on the bars for that.
Hope that helps

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have used the Cateye EL410 on the handle bars, it good as a blink to be seen by, but not really strong enough for seeing more that a couple of meters.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, the cateye EL450 I ordered from Wiggle with my ebay auction money was waiting for me when I got home this evening. It is small and light and I've stuck it on my helmet - it seems secure enough. Resisted the urge to go and test it, but it is a lot brighter than the Petzl Tikka head torch I've borrowed off my old man (I managed to blind myself with it anyhow). Will be good as a backup light and for seeing the time etc

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Plax said:
... it is a lot brighter than the Petzl Tikka head torch I've borrowed off my old man (I managed to blind myself with it anyhow). Will be good as a backup light and for seeing the time etc

The trick is to point it away from your eyes and don't look in the mirror...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got the sigma's on my rucksack, used to have one on the rear of my helmet but the rucksack hides it.

The front is pretty bright (for being seen).

wafflycat

I use a headtorch on my night-lid. Look like a dork but it's excellent for being seen by. And it lights up road signs a treat too - ideal along the narrow country lanes I do my cycling upon.

yenrod

I got these

0258257_l.jpg

The strap stretches round a bar or can fit a gap on a helmet...

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0258257

And they are pretty good - as i own the Sigma light too

sigmamicro.jpg

The top pic leds are comparable to the Sigma yet dont cost as much - the only deal with these lights/leds is finding low price batteries !0

Top Bottom