Helmet mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't attach anything to a helmet

iluvmybike

Über Member
If you did fit one don't rely on it as the only rear view as it will have limited range of vision - a look over your shoulder to double check is always needed - so why bother? Personally, I'd also be worried about possible injury to face in event of an off...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My Blackburn mirror was indispensable while riding my recumbent, where the seating position prevented the view you would get from turning your head on an upright.

As for limited view, this is not correct. I could sweep the entire road behind me with the smallest movement of my head, something not possible with, say, a bar-end mirror.

The Blackburn mount is sufficiently strong that it won't be casually knocked off ( realignment after accidental movement is a pain initially) but it would not survive a crash or damage the helmet.

My problem with helmet mirrors - and especially cameras - is getting them caught on something

During the summer I got a twig off a hedge jammed into my helmet going downhill on a road - my head was jerked backwards, which luckily changed the angles and it slipped out.
I was damned lucky to stay upright - and lucky no car was passing me at the time
So - basically - I am against anything that sticks out from my helmet - especially as I ride on paths and tracks a lot and there are sometimes overhanging branches which brush my head

If I wanted a mirror I would get on that goes on the end of the bars

byegad

Legendary Member
My Blackburn mirror was indispensable while riding my recumbent, where the seating position prevented the view you would get from turning your head on an upright.

As for limited view, this is not correct. I could sweep the entire road behind me with the smallest movement of my head, something not possible with, say, a bar-end mirror.

The Blackburn mount is sufficiently strong that it won't be casually knocked off ( realignment after accidental movement is a pain initially) but it would not survive a crash or damage the helmet.
Exactly this, I ride with one as well as side mounted fixed mirrors. I can sweep 180 degrees to the rear with the glasses mounted mirror. Being 8" off the road on a recumbent trike I don't wear a helmet.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My problem with helmet mirrors - and especially cameras - is getting them caught on something

During the summer I got a twig off a hedge jammed into my helmet going downhill on a road - my head was jerked backwards, which luckily changed the angles and it slipped out.
I was damned lucky to stay upright - and lucky no car was passing me at the time
So - basically - I am against anything that sticks out from my helmet - especially as I ride on paths and tracks a lot and there are sometimes overhanging branches which brush my head

If I wanted a mirror I would get on that goes on the end of the bars
Absolutely right, anything protruding from the helmet is a potential hazard. The most inocouos event can cause an off.

This summer I was riding a tarmac cyclepath I know well. At one point there is a 50 metre descent with a 90⁰ right hand bend at the bottom. Knowing the nearside of the corner was mossy I opted to move over to the right on the bend.

As I rounded the bend a Himalayan balsam got caught in the crock of my right elbow. I was pulled back to my right, the bike swerved left. I went down with a hefty bang.

Anything unnecessary sticking out from bike or rider is an extra hazard.

Debade

Über Member
I love my helmet mounted mirror. It lets me focus on the road and know what is coming. In thousands of miles, it has never got in the way or caused a hazard. As mentioned above, I love my Varia with radar. It also tells me what is behind me and is an improvement to the mirror in letting me know a vehicle is coming audio signal but not which lane it is in. I typically use both since I do not use my Varia for my intown commutes (it would go off all the time).
I also turn my head to check especially when turning (left in the USA) but the mirror is the first check which helps me in my decision making on the road.

Top Bottom