Helmet or no helmet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
almost identical for me, we all cycle and the only time a helmet is worn is by the youngest when entering school, it's the rules(mine are 9, 12 and 14, shortly to become 10, 12 and 15), otherwise he couldn't cycle to school.

If any of us ever take up MTBing then I think we'd wear helmets.

You do get looks from other parents, my particular favourites are the ones casting disparaging glances having just driven their, often tubby, kids to school. If you spoke to them they'd probably come out with some guff, without a trace of irony, about how dangerous the roads near the school are. Then carry on as normal, parking where they like/can get away with and using mobiles when doing the school run.

I do wonder at people that get hysterical over the choice of others not to wear a helmet. There're so many more pressing global matters they could take an interest in that could have a much more beneficial impact.

Agreed, mine are 6, 10 and 12. They have helmets bought by their grand parents but I leave it up to them as to whether they want to wear it or not. I don't wear one and I will not preach to them that they have to.

I think that at times in the current society that we wrap kids up too much in cotton wool rather than allowing kids to be kids.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Agreed, mine are 6, 10 and 12. They have helmets bought by their grand parents but I leave it up to them as to whether they want to wear it or not. I don't wear one and I will not preach to them that they have to.

I think that at times in the current society that we wrap kids up too much in cotton wool rather than allowing kids to be kids.

Yep, but sadly I think the insurance side will creep compulsion in via the back door. First it'll be denying claims due to lack of helmet use, then it'll be for a poorly fitting helmet...etc...etc. Their business is all about avoiding their responsibility and they want our help to do so.

Nationally there's a desire to control people and to accuse them of being a burden to society if they don't comply. Fat people, unfit people, drinkers, smokers, helmet free cyclists - you've got one lot that want to stop you doing stuff and another lot that want to make sure you pay, preferably in advance, for any potential cost you might occur. Try to defend a position, as a parent or an individual, and you get emotional blackmail.

MarkF

Guru

Agree with that. I am heartily sick of uber parents tutting at my helmetless kids. Mine do cycle into the school grounds without helmets, they just ignore the warnings and I ignore the letters.

Yesterday, in a local park, there was cycle obstacle course, just some cones to slalom in and out of, a 6" ramp and a see-saw, all on soft grass. I don't really know what it was about but I do know I had to give all my detals, sign a disclaimer and my 9 year old had to wear a helmet if she was to take part, crazy, she's been hurtling around like a mad woman for 6 years. I saw parents jogging alongside their little dears should some unforseen calamity befall them, my daughter only went round once before becoming too embarrassed to continue.
:biggrin:

JNR

Agree with that. I am heartily sick of uber parents tutting at my helmetless kids. Mine do cycle into the school grounds without helmets, they just ignore the warnings and I ignore the letters.

Yesterday, in a local park, there was cycle obstacle course, just some cones to slalom in and out of, a 6" ramp and a see-saw, all on soft grass. I don't really know what it was about but I do know I had to give all my detals, sign a disclaimer and my 9 year old had to wear a helmet if she was to take part, crazy, she's been hurtling around like a mad woman for 6 years. I saw parents jogging alongside their little dears should some unforseen calamity befall them, my daughter only went round once before becoming too embarrassed to continue.

That's not the organisers fault, that's what it is like these days because, heaven forbid, if a little darling fell on the course and an angry parent decided to take legal action it is the organisers who have to prove consent was given and every potential 'risk' was removed. Doing school trips is an absolute farse these days, cycling ones especially.

If I wanted to do a cycling trip of any distance on any sort of surface, be it road or public cycle path, I have to obtain full ultra-hazardous health and safety forms filled and signed by a parent of each child that get longer and longer the more 'risky' things you do, like cycle near water or on busy roads or, heaven forbid, across junctions.

I then have to get consent the child can go on the trip, on a seperate form. That's ok, I can manage that. Fair enough. I also have to provide a detailed route of the trip along with explanations as to how staff are going to get the children accross roads if necessary. How we are going to 'minimise risk' for them.

I've also got to personally check each bicycle is in perfect working order and maintained to the highest possible standards. If I miss something on a kids bike that could cause them harm, anything at all, I am liable for prosecution if harm should occurr.

And of course, each child must wear correct sized helmet that fits properly, which I have to also personally check.

That's why we don't do cycling trips anymore.

MarkF

Guru
That's not the organisers fault, that's what it is like these days

Hi JNR, I wasn't getting at the organisers, sorry if it came across that way. I know how it is, the world has gone crazy, I do my best to make sure my kids are not part of it and to see my daughter laughing at the other kids, in helmets, parents running alongside, whilst they tackled cones, on soft grass, well, it made me feel good.

Sorry to read that you no longer do cycling trips. :sad:

I notice many avid helmet wearers appear to fall off their bikes and land on their noggins on a regular basis. If that was me personally I would give cycling a miss and try and try something less hazardous like base jumping etc.

If a large vehicle hits you at a decent speed a bit of poly on your head isnt going to make any difference, your body will be broken into many fatal pieces, even if the helmet survives. Riding off road or riding competitively I would agree a helmet makes sense.

I take it you've never been involved in a hit and run on your bicycle...being hit from behind and left by a motorist then? It shows the helmet I wore did it's job....because it wasn't until days after the accident when I check the blood stained gear...that I also notices the scuff/scratch marks on my helmet....oh and the huge crack it had running down the middle.....where (I assume) my head had come into contact with something hard. It would appear that "my bit of poly" saved my life or at least saved me fracturing my skull

I'd rather have the piss taken out of me for wearing a helmet.....than risk not ever getting on a bike again. It doesn't hamper me riding, it doesn't make me look any more stupid (christ I'm 14 1/2 stone and I wear lycra cycling kit......I look ODD anyway! LOL).

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I take it you've never been involved in a hit and run on your bicycle...being hit from behind and left by a motorist then? It shows the helmet I wore did it's job....because it wasn't until days after the accident when I check the blood stained gear...that I also notices the scuff/scratch marks on my helmet....oh and the huge crack it had running down the middle.....where (I assume) my head had come into contact with something hard. It would appear that "my bit of poly" saved my life or at least saved me fracturing my skull

I'd rather have the piss taken out of me for wearing a helmet.....than risk not ever getting on a bike again. It doesn't hamper me riding, it doesn't make me look any more stupid (christ I'm 14 1/2 stone and I wear lycra cycling kit......I look ODD anyway! LOL).

No-one's having a go at you for wearing a helmet but it's not unreasonable to question anecdotal statements when they're along the lines of, 'X would have happened without Y'. You cannot know what would have happened you can only guess. It's the fact that peoples guesses are presented as evidence that gets others hackles up. Here's another interpretation:-

if your helmet took a blow that shattered it, and you were unaware of that blow, then your helmet must have been very weak and broken at the slightest knock. A blow to the head, hard enough to shatter something that offered decent protection, would be noticed.

... or the Thudguard?

Thudguard%20full%20side.jpg

I always like this because it is exactly the same as cycle helmets.

I want to lend full support to this effort to prevent and mitigate head injury in babies and small children. The consequences of head injury may be suffered during the entire life of the young victim. The emotional and financial burden can be enormous.
Herman Delooz MD PhD FCCM FFAEM (Hons)
Former President of the European Society for Emergency Medicine. Former Editor of the European Journal of Emergency Medicine.

Emotive blackmail - Tick

It is a pleasure to support the 'Thudguard' in my capacity as President of the British Association for Accident and Emergency Medicine. Any device which helps to reduce the number of head injuries sustained by young children each year is most welcome

John Heyworth
President
British Association for Accident and Emergency Medicine
Endorsement by ill informed medics - Tick

... should make a valuable contribution to risk reduction in a similar way to cycle helmets...

David W. Jenkins BA MPhil(Eng) PhD DCA FTSI
Product Safety Adviser to RoSPA

Endorsement by Sfatey experts - Tick

"Over 318,575 baby & toddler head injuries are recorded each year!"(Department of Trade & Industry)
Figures to show that thousands die each year and can be saved - Tick

Throughout more than 20 years as an emergency paramedic, I have encountered numerous worried parents who have called an ambulance because their young toddler took a fall and suffered a head injury. While most are minor, some have resulted in serious and debilitating injuries. The Thudguard product is the first of its kind I’ve seen that offers sufficient protection during the formative months as young children develop balance and learn to walk.

Lawson E. Stuart, RN, MBA, MICP
Executive Director
Academic Programs, California

Anecdotal evidence - Tick

Now given an equal weight of evidence - how can anyone be irresponsible enough not to campaign for the use of these life saving helmets?

jimboalee

Sorry 4F. I have to respond to this comment.

When my eldest was 7, I bought him a bike and his grandmother bought him a helmet. It happened that I bought him a helmet as well without my mum-in-law knowing.
My words to my son were "Wear one of the helmets. I'd be pleased if you wore the one Nanny bought. She loves you and cares about you, so show her that you love her."

He wore the helmet. Not just because he felt obliged to, but because he understood that if his grandmother goes out and buys him a bicycle crash helmet, she might know something he doesn't.

This also made him more aware of the dangers that might be out there.

MarkF

Guru
Sorry 4F. I have to respond to this comment.

When my eldest was 7, I bought him a bike and his grandmother bought him a helmet. It happened that I bought him a helmet as well without my mum-in-law knowing.
My words to my son were "Wear one of the helmets. I'd be pleased if you wore the one Nanny bought. She loves you and cares about you, so show her that you love her."

He wore the helmet. Not just because he felt obliged to, but because he understood that if his grandmother goes out and buys him a bicycle crash helmet, she might know something he doesn't.

This also made him more aware of the dangers that might be out there.

Is that suggesting that helmet wearing children are loved more than non-helmet wearing children? :biggrin:

jimboalee

Is that suggesting that helmet wearing children are loved more than non-helmet wearing children? :biggrin:

If Nanny buys kid a helmet, and kid refuses to wear it, what is Nanny going to think?

There has been an article on the news this morning about the age of criminal responsibility. Its 10 in the UK. Below this age, the law says a child is not responsible for their actions.
To my mind, that also applies to the decision of wearing safety equipment.

MarkF

Guru
If Nanny buys kid a helmet, and kid refuses to wear it, what is Nanny going to think?

There has been an article on the news this morning about the age of criminal responsibility. Its 10 in the UK. Below this age, the law says a child is not responsible for their actions.
To my mind, that also applies to the decision of wearing safety equipment.

Thankfully my mother and MIL are just like me and my good lady and don't consider cycling sufficiently dangerous to warrant helmet wearing. But I'd be pretty mad if emotional blackmail became involved in any aspect of our lives.

Bearing in mind previously quoted stats for accidents where helmets could have proved beneficial there would be no reason to stop at cycling, surely kids should wear them for other more dangerous activities, like walking?

I am shortly off on a canal ride, I'm expecting 5 kids, I'll report back on the helmet %.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom