Helmet or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
hambones said:
No-one was being snide! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Apologies if I misread your tone. I just don't subscribe to the idea that in order to be a proper cyclist, you have to wear special clothes and use clipless pedals, which is what you seemed to suggest.

Cyclecraft is all about day to day, utility, getting-about on the roads cycling, and many many people manage it without special gear.

Now, if you were talking about racing, or cycling in a big pack, that's different.

hambones

Well I had hoped the double cheesy grin smiley suggested it was meant tongue in cheek. :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ronmac said:
Ianrauk, I WILL make my own decision but I haven't arrived at it yet so I'm interested in hearing others, who are much more experienced than me, thoughts on the matter. Is that not what a forum is for ?
Arch, thanks for the advice. Ron.

Ron, why don't you get something to fix it to your bike and take it along with you. Then you can play it by ear re how you feel and what others are doing. If you don't take it then it removes an option. Personally I always wear on my commute but not always if poodling about. No science behind that just what I' comfier with and I accept I may change my view when I get to commute in Summer.

Arch

Married to Night Train
hambones said:
Well I had hoped the double cheesy grin smiley suggested it was meant tongue in cheek. :biggrin:

ok, sorry. I've seen some rather creative use of smilies recently ('bung one in randomly, and maybe no one will care if you post like a tit';)), so I maybe didn't read them right either...

Zoom

Über Member
I've just bought a new helmet; it cost a fortune and is last year's model so I won't be able to replace it; therefore I do not intend to hit it against anything and will make sure I don't. Reverse risk compensation in my case :biggrin:

I try not to get involved in these types of discussion but the big issue behind what should be a purely personal decision is that they (government; manufacturers, box tickers etc) want us all to wear one and those that do wear one are perceived as helping this; and it's turning cyclist against cyclist :biggrin:

Zoom said:
I've just bought a new helmet; it cost a fortune and is last year's model so I won't be able to replace it; therefore I do not intend to hit it against anything and will make sure I don't. Reverse risk compensation in my case :biggrin:

I try not to get involved in these types of discussion but the big issue behind what should be a purely personal decision is that they (government; manufacturers, box tickers etc) want us all to wear one and those that do wear one are perceived as helping this; and it's turning cyclist against cyclist :biggrin:

I find it is more those who insist others should wear them that are causing the problem

snorri

Legendary Member
ronmac said:
Should I take my helmet on my upcoming London to Paris ?...... But will I need it for cycling in London and Paris, albeit at my leisure. As ever opinions much appreciated. Ron

Leave it at the Dover ferry teminal and pick it up on the way home.:biggrin:
Cycle helmet wearing is very much a UK thing.:biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
tyred said:
Gloves will stop you from grazing your hands. No matter how you fall, you will probably try and save yourself with your hands.

But if you learn to fall properly.....
Years of rugby,martial arts, rock-climbing & some parachute training have (almost) got me out of the habit of putting my hands out to save myself.

I did have one spectactular SMIDSY incident a few years ago...just done parachute training, and when I hit car that had turned across my path, I instinctively put shoulder down rather than hand - rolled right across the bonnet and landed on my feet on the other side of the car. I could never guarantee to repeat that...., and although I came out unscathed on that occasion, despite lack of gloves or helmet ..... so I always wear both now.

That is not to say i get all bent out of shape if others choose not to wear them.

Zoom

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
I find it is more those who insist others should wear them that are causing the problem

of course you would

re helmet use outside the UK; I've not found that at all apart from where they have their own separate infrastructure. On PBP the UK riders were easy to spot as they were often the ones without helmets.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

PorkyPete, That was brilliant. I can actually visualize that. And I believe it's true because I did some judo as a kid and can still do a forward roll and it really could be useful when the flying-through-the-air bit is coming to an end. Regards. Ron.

Top Bottom