Helmet or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
asterix said:
In York, a real cycling city, I'd (very unscientifically) say helmet wearers are a minority. Last time I was in Amsterdam and the Hague I saw few if any helmet wearers. In my very hilly part of France it's about 60/40 with/without but all ride full-on road bikes.

Same here...

Although it has decreased as teh MOD pulled out - Gosport had the 3rd highest percentage of cycle commuters in the UK!

On the Ferry run this morning - about 60 - 70 bikes and 8 helmets.... definitely a minority.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Decisions, decisions ! You guys've got me in a quandary now. Should I take my helmet on my upcoming London to Paris ? I have full load so could do without it (where to put it when not wearing it ?).. But will I need it for cycling in London and Paris, albeit at my leisure. As ever opinions much appreciated. Ron

montage

God Almighty
Cunobelin said:
Same here...

Although it has decreased as teh MOD pulled out - Gosport had the 3rd highest percentage of cycle commuters in the UK!

On the Ferry run this morning - about 60 - 70 bikes and 8 helmets.... definitely a minority.

I catch that ferry every day at 8am, and helmets are definately the majority. I shall do a count monday after next when I next use it :smile: There are alot of none-wearers though, they tend to be youngish males that use heavy downhill mtbs for commuting..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is surely your choice to make. It shouldn't be a choice based on others opinions.
If you want to take it fine..take it.. if you don't...then don't.

ronmac said:
Decisions, decisions ! You guys've got me in a quandary now. Should I take my helmet on my upcoming London to Paris ? I have full load so could do without it (where to put it when not wearing it ?).. But will I need it for cycling in London and Paris, albeit at my leisure. As ever opinions much appreciated. Ron

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
ronmac said:
where to put it when not wearing it ?).

The accepted practice seems to be to dangle it from the handlebars :smile:.

At the end of the day it is your choice and only one that you can make.

Tynan

Veteran
too many variables, I bet stoodents don;t and some places are choked with them

I bet new commuter generally do because they think they shold and the bike shop will have suggested they buy one

who cares, personal choice but I don't believe people that say a helmet would do them no good if they smacked their head into the tarmac, people can convince themselves of anything if they want to

Arch

Married to Night Train
ronmac said:

Have a look in your local pound shop, or any place that sells bungys and zipties (I'm thinking car boot sales, but it's not the time of year for them... Online, maybe) Anyway, look for an elastic cargo net, with a hook at each corner. They are often shown holding a football on a bike rack. With that, you could hold your helmet on top of panniers.

Something like this

MarkF

Guru
screenman said:
In motorcycling we have a saying, dress for the accident not the journey.

How depressing, if somebody had said that to me I'd never have started motorcycling.:wacko:

Most of the summer dead guys in the Dales are middle aged and I bet they are very well dressed for their accidents, so that's something I suppose.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

ianrauk said:
This is surely your choice to make. It shouldn't be a choice based on others opinions.
If you want to take it fine..take it.. if you don't...then don't.
Ianrauk, I WILL make my own decision but I haven't arrived at it yet so I'm interested in hearing others, who are much more experienced than me, thoughts on the matter. Is that not what a forum is for ?
Arch, thanks for the advice. Ron.

montage

God Almighty
noobie question, and slightly off topic, but why are gloves soooo important? I thought they were just a keep warm/padding comfort thing?

tyred

Legendary Member
Gloves will stop you from grazing your hands. No matter how you fall, you will probably try and save yourself with your hands.

Arch

Married to Night Train
montage said:
noobie question, and slightly off topic, but why are gloves soooo important? I thought they were just a keep warm/padding comfort thing?

They will protect you to some extent in a fall. Whether you think that's enough reason to wear them is the same as helmets, personal choice. I wear them for warmth in winter, and padding on long rides, but the grazing aspect doesn't really come into it, for me.

Getting snide about not wearing them is about as clever as getting snide about people using toe clips. IE, not very. Toe clips work perfectly well for those who want to use them. We don't all feel the need to be clamped to our bikes.

Tynan

Veteran
I had a low speed off on some oil once and took all the skin off my palms and rammed grit, gravel and oil into the flesh

very very painful for weeks, that's one place you don't want scabs forming, the break along the creases and then jab into the raw bits

never ridden without at least mitts since

gloves and clips are completely different

still, like skulls, palms are person's call

Top Bottom