Helmet or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay

So just a couple of quick questions...

If people don't wear helmets because they're "ineffective" above 12mph would they wear one if Giro or whoever came out with some mega-helmet offering much greater protection? Why have helmet manufacturers not cottoned on to the fact that there is a market for well vented helmets offering more protection? (obviously at a cost)

What about the d30 gel, could this not be built into some cycling caps etc -clearly not as protective as a helmet but could be more stylish/comfortable and almost certainly better than nowt?

FWIW I wear a helmet on the mtb, will on the road bike but don't on the riding to the shops bike. I couldn't care less what other people do though...

screenman

Legendary Member
In motorcycling we have a saying, dress for the accident not the journey. Something about most accidents happen quite close to home.

I have smashed up 1 helmet my son 2. Mine was due to stopping pedaling just as I crossed the finish line in a 10, should not really do that on a fixed wheel, I remember looking down from a long way up thinking this is going to hurt.

His was 1st one was when a front skewer snapped 1/2 mile from home after a 40 mile training ride in the Wolds luckily we were only warming down, Still a trip to hospital and stitches etc. no it was not over tightened just fatigued is the conclusion we come to.

Do I wear a helmet, you bet I do and full leathers when out on the motorbike and a seat belt when driving and a life jacket when sailing.

hambones

Rarely wear a helmet for road riding - the chances of coming off are so slim. I do occasionally when doing a big group ride or if icy. Most people I know do not wear one BTW, yet many cycle forum polls often suggest a majority do. Does anyone know what the figures are for helmet wear these days?

I always wear gloves though - vital safety equipment! :angry:

Noodley

screenman said:
In motorcycling we have a saying, dress for the accident not the journey. Something about most accidents happen quite close to home.
Excellent, I rarely ride anywhere near my home :angry:

Noodley

Smokin Joe said:
Most accidents happen close to home because that's where you spend most of your time.

Think about it.

No I don't. And that's why it's excellent. I only start and finish near my home and the rest of the time I'm miles away. :angry:

snorri

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
No I don't.

Noodley, you are a prevaricator.:smile:

:eek::biggrin:

asterix

Comrade Member
screenman said:
Do I wear a helmet, you bet I do and full leathers when out on the motorbike and a seat belt when driving and a life jacket when sailing.

When sailing, a helmet is also necessary due to the danger of a swinging boom. Rather more so than when cycling I would suggest.

Mind you, I sailed for over 30 years and wore neither lifejacket nor helmet. The trick was not to fall overboard and be alert. I dread to think what 'elf 'n' safety is like on tall ships and such like, is now. Blooming dangerous things.. ban 'em. Oops, sorry:blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
ronmac said:
As I started this thread just thought I'd give contributors a quick update. I had a practice cycle around the streets of Glasgow city centre today. Coped fine but it was a bit manic in places. I saw enough to come to the decision that I WILL wear the helmet when cycling on roads (I had it on today). Whether I'm safer or not I don't know but I cetainly FELT safer. I also forgot I had it on after a while. So thanks to everybody who contributed, I agree with you all i.e. it's a personal choice thing.

Great! Now get a helmetcam, and see if you can film Magnatom in action;) (head to Commuting if that sounds like gibberish)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
hambones said:
Does anyone know what the figures are for helmet wear these days?

OK ... you made me do it... I counted them this morning (it isn't accuarate as I may have lost count and not noticed some cyclists etc), but my figures for this morning was:

65 cyclists
46 wearing helmets

Those on the footpath - 2 both not wearing helmets
Probably an equal no of helmet/no helmet went through red lights - perhaps 6 in total?
and it also seemed to vary as I cycled into town - more helmets than later in the morning when it seemed more even.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I wear one all the time here in the UK...last summer in France and germany I mostly didnt as it was very hot and the car drivers there arn't homicidal maniacs like they are here.
I fell and hit my head in Meersburg, I wasnt wearing the hat...it HURT....much blood...temporary black out...I was very lucky, all I got was a broken wrist.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
And a quick drop off to guides noticed 14 cyclists of which 4 weren't wearing helmets.

So approximately 1/3 to 1/4 depending on the time of day I would say weren't wearing helmets today.

asterix

Comrade Member
In York, a real cycling city, I'd (very unscientifically) say helmet wearers are a minority. Last time I was in Amsterdam and the Hague I saw few if any helmet wearers. In my very hilly part of France it's about 60/40 with/without but all ride full-on road bikes.

Top Bottom