Helmet or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
montage said:
Helmets save lives. If I see a cyclist with no helmet, then I see them as an inexperienced/bad cyclist - though ofc this is not allways the case, just the first impression that is given. And if you are worried about looking like an alien, some of the helmets out atm look pretty swanky ;)

I suppose 5000 miles plus a year for more years than I care to remember makes me an inexperienced / bad cyclists then. What a load of XXXX

_Ben_ said:
could be the difference between life and death, that's why i wear it.
can still feel the air about your head with vents. often the more expensive the helmet the more vents, so get a good flashy one..

This is NOT a personal attack on the poster, but as the second post in a thread - the content illustrates the lack of knowledge in helmet threads.

Firstly the more expensive are often less protective. Several helmets like the Specialized Aurora (£30) pass higher testing standards than the Giro Ionos t some four times the cost.

Secondly the increase in vents means that there is less polystyrene to compress, lessening the ability to absorb impact and making the helmet less protective.

If you are serious - read the helmet standards and do not buy a helmet that is not "SNELL" rated as this is the toughest test to pass.

You brain is rather important to you. It is only wrapped in a thin shell of bone rather like an egg shell. You put eggs in a box to bring them home.

Lots of pedestrians fall over and hit their head. It just is a habit to get into to put a lid on. Yes it takes something a way, but so does a seat belt.

You brain is rather important to you. It is only wrapped in a thin shell of bone rather like an egg shell. You put eggs in a box to bring them home.

Lots of drivers and vehicle passengers have accidents and hit their head. It just is a habit to get into to put a lid on. Yes it takes something a way, but so does a seat belt.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Smokin Joe said:
I often wonder about the motives of those who get het up because others choose not to wear a helmet. Personally, I think that when they come across a bare headed cyclist they suddenly feel self conscious and embarrassed in case the non wearer (who doesn't actually give a shoot) might regard them as as some sort of safety obsessed girls blouse, so instead of just accepting the principle of live and let live they feel they need to justfy their own use by preaching about how many hundreds of thousands of lives are saved annually by helmets, how non wearers cost the health service billions and how we must "set an example to the young" by wearing them whether we want to or not.

All we really want is to be left in peace to do our own thing. Wear a ventilated piss pot on your bonce if you must, but don't try and come the emotional blackmail with me because it won't work.

Smoking joe, well put

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
ronmac said:
I'm fairly new to cycling and can't decide wether to wear a helmet or not. It's not that I don't like wearing it, just that I like the feel of the fresh air about my head.
I definitely feel safer on the road when I wear it but is this a false sense of security as I'll probably get wiped out anyway if a fast moving vehicle hits me.
Conversely I feel I don't need it on cycle paths and yet I'm more likely to come off and bang my head when cycling on one of these.
I'd be interested to hear others opinions on all of this. I'm sure they'll be very varied but may help me decide.
Cheers. Ron.

Don't bother, helmets are a just a fashion accessory and complete waste of money. They are a con, even the helmet manufacturers admit there offer no protection at speeds of 12 mph, how often have you fallen off at speeds of less than 12 mph and hit you head?

Some people will tell you that it is the same as wear a seat belt in a car, it is not, car seat belts are effective at speeds above 12 mph. If you want a helmet that offers protection at speed above 12 mph, wear a motorbike helmet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well... my helmet stopped nasty gravel rash - not nice on a thigh, but on a non fleshy part like a head....ouch.

I really don't care if you do or don't wear a helmet. For me, and I've said this loads, it helps with sweat control......I ride with a scull cap under it, that soaks up the sweat, the vent's evaporate it - I can climb in the height of summer without sweat stinging my eyes or dripping onto my glasses. In winter it's a windproof scull cap. Prior to 'good' helmets/none, I'd wear a sweat band or cap - they just couldn't cope with the sweat.

I buy the 'more expensive ones' because of the venting - it suits me...

I think it sets a good example to my kids - my son rides like a looney - he's only just 8 but has been clocked doing nearly 30 mph down the slight hill at home.....I've fitted a computer to his bike, and it's calibrated right. He has come off, and on at least a couple of occasions has smacked the curb (low speed) with his head. One impact wrote his helmet off..... saves me a trip to casualty.

TBH I think they look stupid, 'mushroom head' etc. etc. and I take mine off as soon as I get off a bike - you won't catch me walking round with one on....!

If pootling to a local shop, I don't wear a helmet cos I'm in civvies......but if out and meaning 'business' - i.e. lycra lout ......I do..... So shoot me !!! :evil:

Noodley

Can we not ban threads on helmets? :evil:

montage

God Almighty
Too put it bluntly, I've seen somebody who has had their life ruined because they did not wear a helmet - the main issue is that has ruined the life of his parents, who are now forever his carers. This is why I feel so strongly on the issue, it isn't fair that this happens to somebody else.

Noodley

We can all mention cases where wearing a helmet helped or hindered.

Can we not just accept it's a personal choice?

Noodley said:
We can all mention cases where wearing a helmet helped or hindered.

Can we not just accept it's a personal choice?

Or, as I said six pages ago, following a quote by FFFF:

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
However the one important fact in all this is that it is your choice as to whether you wear one or not.

Before we get into another 26 page thread on helmets, may I suggest that this is really all that needs to be said on the subject?:ohmy:

Top Bottom