Helmet or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobbly Wheels

I wear a helmet, granted I've not been cycling long, since about September. Even then, I had a horrible bout of Flu, since Late Nov, and only now feeling like I can get out and about properly again.

But I still would wear a helmet, even going along my local cycle path, in my opinion it's just not worth the risk. Others may disagree, but for me, I'm not doing it for competetive sport or anything like that, so just knowing that perhaps I am a little bit more safe makes all the difference, and to be honest at my standard of cycling, having a helmet on, doesn't make any difference to my ride.

Sorry, should have added I got mine at halfords for £30. Not top of the range, but well passed the standards set, and doesn't look completely stupid.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

still undecided

I started this thread and am sorry that some postings have got a little heated. But it seems it's a touchy subject outwith my thread. I can't take sides as I'm still undecided.
However after reading Montage and Fossyant posts about injuries to friend and self respectively I do say to myself "If I came off my bike tomorrow and helmet took the impact and saved me from injury would I wear a helmet from then on ?".
I still don't know. I really do love the feeling of fresh air and freedom riding without gives me. I ask myself what are the odds of 1. Getting an injury 2. Getting an injury that a cycle helmet would have prevented. If it's 14 million to one (same as winning the lottery) then I'd probably take chance and not wear one. I appreciate the thread is getting a bit long but I do appreciate everybodys input and if anybody wants to continue to do so, well that's what the forum's for. Regards to all. Ron.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well as I said I probably wear one about 80% ... I think it makes me appreciate the freedom when I'm not wearing one... but I have to say that one of its greatest benifits to me is keeping my hair out of my face:biggrin: which is a safety issue .. although it can be dealt with by other means too.

jayce

i wear one when around 80% when its hot it makes me over heat ,and yes its a good one ,on short rides 10 miles or so i might do a couple of rides with out one it all depends on the time , ie traffic but every one has their views ,i know it only takes the once but if you think you need one then buy a tidy one ,but i only wear one if i want to and more often and not i do

MarkF

Guru
Don't wear one, don't want to, don't wear protective gear on my motorcyle either and would junk the helmet for that if I could.

Kids, that's an awkward one for parents, easily solved by me, I have banned them from wearing them.:wacko: I do not want my kids growing up and associating cycling, a pleasant, healthy and incredibly safe activity, with danger.

I am fine though with those who, for whatever reason, wear a helmet.

ASC1951

Guru
montage said:
.. or you could be helpful and argue a VALID case for not wearing a helmet.
OK. I don't wear one on the road because I don't want to.

I don't dispute that there may be an extra risk but it's one that I am willing to accept. Cycling is a risk, with or without a helmet. Life is a risk.

MarkF

Guru
A little off topic but.....has anybody, helmet wearer or non-wearer, ever, having read this sort of thread, gone over to the other side?

Maybe it's who you are, after all, no amount of caved in head stories has the slightest impact (:wacko:) on my desire not to wear one.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I often wonder about the motives of those who get het up because others choose not to wear a helmet. Personally, I think that when they come across a bare headed cyclist they suddenly feel self conscious and embarrassed in case the non wearer (who doesn't actually give a shoot) might regard them as as some sort of safety obsessed girls blouse, so instead of just accepting the principle of live and let live they feel they need to justfy their own use by preaching about how many hundreds of thousands of lives are saved annually by helmets, how non wearers cost the health service billions and how we must "set an example to the young" by wearing them whether we want to or not.

All we really want is to be left in peace to do our own thing. Wear a ventilated piss pot on your bonce if you must, but don't try and come the emotional blackmail with me because it won't work.

jayce

on a motorcycle i have had an accident 3 years ago broke my sholders in 5 places ,broke my back in 2 places 10" scar on my leg ,i use arai the doc said that saved my life as its totaly f***ed took a hell of an impact. but on a cycle you do not have to wear one i dont always wear one

MarkF

Guru
jayce said:
on a motorcycle i have had an accident 3 years ago broke my sholders in 5 places ,broke my back in 2 places 10" scar on my leg ,i use arai the doc said that saved my life as its totaly f***ed took a hell of an impact. but on a cycle you do not have to wear one i dont always wear one

I crashed, too regularly as I got older, so splashed out on full leathers and promptly had a "big one" and I knew why too, I rode like a tosser because I felt invincible. I am far safer without protective gear, that is why I don't wear any and won't again.

The Dales in the summer are splattered with middle aged guys wearing the very best of protective gear.

Radius

SHREDDER
MarkF said:
I crashed, too regularly as I got older, so splashed out on full leathers and promptly had a "big one" and I knew why too, I rode like a tosser because I felt invincible. I am far safer without protective gear, that is why I don't wear any and won't again.

The Dales in the summer are splattered with middle aged guys wearing the very best of protective gear.

Have to say I've felt this a little whilst wearing a helmet and then taking it off and riding again in a short space of time...dunno why, but it seems it's not just me...

Top Bottom