Helmet or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

A lot of posters on this thread have joined within the last 6 months and several, including the OP, only joined this year - are new members not allowed to discuss things for themselves if it's been discussed before? This kind of response seems to be a very good way of putting off new members, I even stopped using CC myself for a while because of this kind of attitude from established members.

ASC1951

Guru
MarkF said:
has anybody, helmet wearer or non-wearer, ever, having read this sort of thread, gone over to the other side?
Of course not, any more than they do on any other argument. All the posts in the Politics and Life section could perfectly well be put there by autoresponders. Maybe they already are.

When the kerfuffle on this thread has subsided and it had sunk off the front page, I might just post a message, "Helmets". Not even "Helmets?"

I bet a blank thread with that title still gets the same Pavlovian response.

Mortiroloboy

With Helmet, no doubt here. Last October I had a crash, whilst cycling down to a YHA week-ender in the New Forest, I hit my (helmet clad ) head on the tarmac, cracked my helmet and not my head.
But the choice is yours.

purplepolly said:
A lot of posters on this thread have joined within the last 6 months and several, including the OP, only joined this year - are new members not allowed to discuss things for themselves if it's been discussed before? This kind of response seems to be a very good way of putting off new members, I even stopped using CC myself for a while because of this kind of attitude from established members.

Fair point. Although a quick search will reveal that this issue has been done to death and that there's really very little to add.

Mortiroloboy

It has been done to death, but it's also a perennial topic that new members will bring up on a regular basis, I'm not talking about it anymore.:smile:

I think it is good for all topics that have been 'done to death' by one group of people, to be debated afresh by others - as purplepolly indicates.
This forum is a brilliant place to gain experience and form/build opinions - a learning process for all.
Certain things are going to crop up many times, particularly in 'Beginners'.
Perfect introduction to choice I reckon.

I always wear a helmet. Smashed two already - but hey! Happy not to bleed all over my expensive cycle jerseys...:smile:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
The best thing a cyclist can do, IMO, is learn to cycle safely and assertively (not aggressively) to minimise risk as much as reasonably possible in the first place. Indeed, I'd place wearing gloves as being more important a bit of safety kit than wearing a lid.

For me the best response to the opening question. Safe cycling, in every sense, is made up of a multitude of techniques combined with being sure your cycle is fit for the road and having, if you wish, the right equipment. IMO wearing a helmet is part of improving my personal safety on the cycle - I'm only worried about my personal safety so I chose to wear one. I would prefer not to but it's a small sacrifice.

Last August I had my one and only big crash. Fortunately I had time to take the decision to broadside into the car which crossed my path. I reckon I hit him at 15mph and the only real damage was a broken hand. If I'd had less time to react I would have been over the top doing at least 22mph if not more. If I'm going over a car roof at that speed I want all the help I can get.

Take time to find a quality, well ventilated helemt that feels comfortable and you will soon forget it's on your head.

My lad races karts and I'd like to know if one can buy Snell standard cycle helmets. This being the toughest category of motorsport helmet.

montage said:
Too put it bluntly, I've seen somebody who has had their life ruined because they did not wear a helmet - the main issue is that has ruined the life of his parents, who are now forever his carers. This is why I feel so strongly on the issue, it isn't fair that this happens to somebody else.

Again - not personal, just an illustration....

I see more pedestrians in this state than cyclists. (I have worked for some 30 years in radiology departments) surely this an argument for pedestrian helmets (and car driver helmets) as well?

The alternative is to find the above situation somehow acceptable, less tragic or moving if it happens to a non-cyclist?

snorri

Legendary Member
I see no harm in newbies covering old topics, just as long as we all remain polite. :sad:
Before making controversial statements we should be prepared with some evidence for when the inevitable challenge comes along.:laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I actually wore mine today, first time in ages - mainly because I was going to be cycling along a road that I'd just heard on the news a car had skidded off into the river...

I must say, when I am riding the thing that scares me most is the idea of coming off and skidding along on a bare arm or leg (one of the reasons I don't descend or corner very fast). I don't generally think about hitting my head...

Mortiroloboy

Arch said:
I actually wore mine today, first time in ages - mainly because I was going to be cycling along a road that I'd just heard on the news a car had skidded off into the river...I must say, when I am riding the thing that scares me most is the idea of coming off and skidding along on a bare arm or leg (one of the reasons I don't descend or corner very fast). I don't generally think about hitting my head...

Arch, I don't think helmets are intended as bouyancy aids.;):biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
User259iroloboy said:
Arch, I don't think helmets are intended as bouyancy aids.;):biggrin:

:biggrin:

I suppose they do float though...

Nah, I don't need that, I did lifesaving, I know how to make a float out of my pyjama trousers...

Hmm, I wasn't wearing my pyjamas though....

Arch said:
:biggrin:

I suppose they do float though...

Nah, I don't need that, I did lifesaving, I know how to make a float out of my pyjama trousers...

Hmm, I wasn't wearing my pyjamas though....

That's funny I did that as well, weird. The only time I wear pyjamas now is when I'm on the ferry ;)

OP
OP
R

ronmac

As I started this thread just thought I'd give contributors a quick update. I had a practice cycle around the streets of Glasgow city centre today. Coped fine but it was a bit manic in places. I saw enough to come to the decision that I WILL wear the helmet when cycling on roads (I had it on today). Whether I'm safer or not I don't know but I cetainly FELT safer. I also forgot I had it on after a while. So thanks to everybody who contributed, I agree with you all i.e. it's a personal choice thing.

Top Bottom