Helmet padding - Replacement pads or new helmet??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im running an old KASK Mojito and its probably beyond its 4th year of service and the pads are a big ragged with all the washing.

spares have long been discontinued, are very few and far between and £18 where found. But for that £18, a few quid more and i could get a planetX carniac or a ROADR 500 from decathlon.

As much as i love my Mojito and want to keep it in service. Even the chin strap is pretty long in the tooth.

Not looking to drop £70-80 for a replacement kask as i dont have the budget. but what would you do in my place? New pads or a PlanetX/Decathlon special?

The chinstrap on my kask still has plenty more miles in it

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’d go for replacement of the helmet, given its age and the likelihood it’ll have suffered a few knocks with or without your bonce inside it.

Have you looked after it ? I'd check out the inside - pull at it a bit whilst looking inside to see if there's any cracks. If all is good I'd get new pads.

I love my mojito. Very comfortable.

The other helmets might not be.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I’d go for replacement of the helmet, given its age and the likelihood it’ll have suffered a few knocks with or without your bonce inside it.

Have you looked after it ? I'd check out the inside - pull at it a bit whilst looking inside to see if there's any cracks. If all is good I'd get new pads.

I love my mojito. Very comfortable.

The other helmets might not be.

The helmet is structurally sound. I can put a fair amount of pressure squeezing it or trying to pull it apart and nothing moves. I have always been leaning towards new pads because cheap helmets are cheap for a reason and a Mojito is still a premium product even given its age.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have always been leaning towards new pads because cheap helmets are cheap for a reason and a Mojito is still a premium product even given its age

A helmet from Lidl and your Mojito are made to the same EN1078 standard. You might prefer one over the other for its aesthetics and that‘s fine but that’s all the extra you’ll be getting. Kasko’s own advice is to bin it after about 3 years anyway.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well i guess that settles it. I'll get new helmet when the old pads are no longer serviceable - They arent quite torn into pieces yet.

must say I wouldn't wash my helmet pads any more than my top hat.

On your individual point, I'd get one from planet X. No need to spend £80. My spesh cost more than that - I managed to stupidly bust it and got one from wiggle for £25 which I prefer and am confident is just as safe.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
must say I wouldn't wash my helmet pads any more than my top hat.

On your individual point, I'd get one from planet X. No need to spend £80. My spesh cost more than that - I managed to stupidly bust it and got one from wiggle for £25 which I prefer and am confident is just as safe.

well i ride a lot since quitting the gym and the helmet does get pongy if i dont wash it. Removing the pads helps with drying as ive left them inside before while the helmet is out on the washing line drying and they were still damp the next day.

maybe i'll stick with giving the helmet a quick blast with a hair dryer instead to assist drying.

well i ride a lot since quitting the gym and the helmet does get pongy if i dont wash it. Removing the pads helps with drying as ive left them inside before while the helmet is out on the washing line drying and they were still damp the next day.

maybe i'll stick with giving the helmet a quick blast with a hair dryer instead to assist drying.
can you really smell it (I mean without close nasal contact?), can anyone else?
I'd just keep your hair clean.

On that point - where do you get replacement pads from??

my old one really needed new ones but I wouldn't find pads - or the material to make them
but where do I get it???

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
can you really smell it (I mean without close nasal contact?), can anyone else?
I'd just keep your hair clean.

Yes. depending on how recent it was washed. I can often start to smell it when its arms length away. But i take the helmet in the shower with me after 2-3 rides so it does get a good rinse. I used to wash it with Halo wash but that leaves a rather synthetic medicinal smell that i cant stand.

I also cut up a neck tube and wear it like a sweatband and that also helps keep the pong down as it soaks up a lot of the sweat.

On that point - where do you get replacement pads from??

my old one really needed new ones but I wouldn't find pads - or the material to make them
but where do I get it???

ebay mainly but very few retailers outside of ebay have stock. Just search 'Kask Mojito Pads' in google or ebay. --- extremely limited stock. you'll get hits on google but 90% of the results are out of stock.

The Mojito X uses the same pads so you may have more luck search for that instead.

not now (am feeling too chilled) but tomorrow I will just have to hold my ageing helmet at arms length, inside and outside, and see what I can smell. Neighbours might be a bit bemused.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
not now (am feeling too chilled) but tomorrow I will just have to hold my ageing helmet at arms length, inside and outside, and see what I can smell. Neighbours might be a bit bemused.

I am a heavy sweater. you equipment might not work up a serious pong like mine does

Top Bottom