Helmet reccomendations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling helmets are personal things. They are all shaped different that fit different shaped heads. People can recommend a helmet but it doesn't mean it will fit you or feel comfortable. So the best thing to do is go to a lbs or Halfords, try a few on. When you have found one you like, check the internet to see if you can get one at a price that is favourable to you.

g00se

Veteran
Halfords - for all their failing - do have a decent range of helmets.

You'll find certain brands fit different types of heads. My head is a Bell or Giro - but I can never find a Met or Specialized that is comfy.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The ones at the very bottom of the market are worth avoiding - they have very little in the way of adjustment - you do need to be able to adjust the fit at the back as well as the straps to get a decent fit normally.

HeyWayne

Halfords was the only place I could find one big enough to fit my U2 massive heed. Bell.

Prior to that (several moons ago) I had a Specialized, and it never really fitted me properly, just seemed to perch at the front and back of my head.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I use a Selev which are little known but used to be seen in the TdF fairly often. I think if you feel you should wear a helmet (he says being very, very careful not to kick off the helmet debate:o) then I think you should head for at least the mid-price range ones rather than the cheaper ones as they offer more adjustability and more protection.

M

Mike!

Guru
I have a Bell shaped head it seems, my old Specialized one if falling apart (the forehead padding is anyway) so i'll be getting a Bell Lumens, tried one in in Halfords and it's so much more comfortable and better fitting than the current one! Got paid yesterday so i will get one this week...

It's the same with Motorbike helmets - i'm a Shoei shape and find Arai hurt!

1. Make sure it fits
2. Make sure it is adjustable so you can wear a Buff or similar if you wish
3. Highest standard possible (Snell B90 or B95)

Top Bottom