helmet saved my life picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lordjenks, you just made me LOL :biggrin:

Having just got back from another trip to Germany- I don't wear a helmet when over there with their wider roads and better cycling lanes, and I did notice that most Berliners seem not to bother. I usually wear mine here when on-road, and always do when off-roading- less because of falling off and more because low hanging tree branches aren't user-friendly to my bonce!

For the record, I think it's everyone's own choice to use a helmet or not. Peace.

raindog

er.....
So we were wrong about the irony theory.....:laugh:

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
but you and Cunobelin can have a grown up conversation, your ire should be directed at the tosser that started yet another helmet thread with sweet FA to add to the debate

a little ott? didn't you get the joke? the link name kinda gave it away.

any chance of an apology for calling me a tosser?

blubb

These "helmet saved my life stories" are really getting lame. It is quite obvious that your head is a lot stronger than a bit of foam and it cetainly did not save your life, it might have helped a little especially prevented some burnt skin but nothing serious.

Feel free to wear a helmet, but don't try to scare others from riding a bike. Statistically head injuries among cyclists are very unlikely and while the insurance companies would like us to walk around in rubber foam, i won't protect myself from something that will happen once or twice in my life and won't kill me.

PpPete

Legendary Member

Unfortunately it's a subject about which people feel sufficiently strongly that they don't see any possibility of humour in it. Hell, we're not even arguing about the merits of helmet wearing anymore - more about the merits & demerits of the types of arguments used in support of our points of view. I thought Cunobelin's introduction of the Thudguard into the debate to be absurd - and even to detract from his argument, whereas he thought it a logical follow up to his point....

Yeah - you're a tosser for starting us all off again ! Only kidding... :biggrin::hello::biggrin::hello:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

Terribly sorry I thought the fact I was making a joke was perfectly clear...by the way it was nothing personal I just happen to think that starting another helmet thread for a joke is a bit of a tossy thing to do. I accept that this doesn't actually make you guilty of being a full time tosser just guilty of committing a tossy type action.

I rather fancy the idea of Bond and a velomobile....

A chase through the streets of a famous city in a couple of rocket armed Go-Ones.....

go-one-velomobile1.jpg

pip ryder

i wear my helmet all the time (particularly as i once came off myself WITH my helmet and was unconscious for 1/2 hour and then had concussion for 3 months (dizzy spells) and occassionaly still get them.

The only time I've ever hit my head after a fall is when I've had a helmet on. My suspicion is that because I know there's a helmet there, I instinctively try and protect other parts of my body instead and therefore my head is more likely to suffer an impact.

All your statement says is that you wore a helmet and you were injured. It says nothing about whether the damage was less or more than if you hadn't worn one. The truth is there's no way of knowing.

Wearing helmets is a personal choice and you are free to wear one. I just think these "helmets saved my life/brain" anecdotes are useless because there's no way of knowing what would have happened if the rider had made a different helmet choice.

I just think these "helmets saved my life/brain" anecdotes are useless because there's no way of knowing what would have happened if the rider had made a different helmet choice.

You can have a pretty good idea of what would have happened and its nothing. The logic is that for every helmet wearing cyclist out there there are another two or three who don't wear a helmet. On that basis for every helmet saved my life story there should be two or three cyclists without helmets who died because they didn't have a helmet to save their life. Given that there are about 100 cyclists who die a year that means at most only 25-30 "helmet saved my life" stories a year can be true. Either that or helmeted cyclists are massively more accident prone than cyclists without helmets.

You can have a pretty good idea of what would have happened and its nothing. The logic is that for every helmet wearing cyclist out there there are another two or three who don't wear a helmet. On that basis for every helmet saved my life story there should be two or three cyclists without helmets who died because they didn't have a helmet to save their life. Given that there are about 100 cyclists who die a year that means at most only 25-30 "helmet saved my life" stories a year can be true. Either that or helmeted cyclists are massively more accident prone than cyclists without helmets.

According to the research they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom