helmet saved my life picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Cut and Paste well worn argument here:

biggrin.gif

PpPete

Legendary Member
This was in response to the proposed experiment that: ...

If you bang your head on a wall - it will hurt

If you bang your head on a wall wearing a helmet it hurts less....

This is supposedly proof that helmets should be worn.

I simply pointed out that wearing a fruit (or vegetable) with a hard shell and soft inner would also hurt less, and ergo by the same standrd of proof proves wearing fruit is beneficial to cyclists.......

Same experiment, same "proof", and the same validity to the results.

Thus far I was in agreement with you - I just think introducing the frankly ludicrous Thudguard reduces your argument to the same level of absurdity as those who argue for banging your head against a brick wall with or without helmet.

Don't get me wrong - I don't fundamentally disagree with your POV about helmets (indeed I've learned a lot about the issue from some of the references cited by you in previous debates) ... but I do think a more mature level of debating tactic would not go amiss.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thus far I was in agreement with you - I just think introducing the frankly ludicrous Thudguard reduces your argument to the same level of absurdity as those who argue for banging your head against a brick wall with or without helmet.

Don't get me wrong - I don't fundamentally disagree with your POV about helmets (indeed I've learned a lot about the issue from some of the references cited by you in previous debates) ... but I do think a more mature level of debating tactic would not go amiss.

but you and Cunobelin can have a grown up conversation, your ire should be directed at the tosser that started yet another helmet thread with sweet FA to add to the debate

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I wear a helmet most of the time i cycle. I wear a riding hat when im on a horse. I do it cos i prefer to, couldnt give a rats a**e on anyone elses opinion as to "they work/they dont work" yadayada...

If anyone were to have a fall resulting in the helmet saving them from any possible head trauma then if they hadnt been wearing one it may be pointless wishing they had.

but hey, each to their own... it certainly doesnt upset me when people dont, nor does it when people do.

I must admit i want one of those Thudguards now tho :biggrin:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Aside from the fact that helmets in most circumstance will do far more good than harm, what about the other advantages of helmet wearing? I can think of 5.

1/ If you're a baldy like me, they keep your head warm.

B/ If you stick some foam on the side of the chin straps, they act as a wind deflecter so you can hear your MP3 player better.

Γ/ There's a shade to keep the sun out of your eyes.

肆/ You can fix a light on the front and back of the helmet-----high level lights are far more noticeable (hence the high level brake lights on cars.)

fünf/ Wearing a helmet provoke a debate!

This is just a grenade in a room thread, the debate is advanced not a jot. Let's not all fall out over bugger all.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Aside from the fact that helmets in most circumstance will do far more good than harm, what about the other advantages of helmet wearing? I can think of 5.

1/ If you're a baldy like me, they keep your head warm.

B/ If you stick some foam on the side of the chin straps, they act as a wind deflecter so you can hear your MP3 player better.

Γ/ There's a shade to keep the sun out of your eyes.

肆/ You can fix a light on the front and back of the helmet-----high level lights are far more noticeable (hence the high level brake lights on cars.)

fünf/ Wearing a helmet provoke a debate!

A great way of proving you have no understanding of how a helmet is designed to work, despite advocating their use. Well done
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 58
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 74

Which is my point...

Why is the Thudguard ludicrous and absurd when it is supported by the same evidence, the same unequivocal medical support and the support of RoSPA and others as compulsory cycle helmets for children?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Strange, the quote thing ain't working...

Anyway.

"Drawing inferences from a single data point one datum: fags aren't bad for you because my granny smoked 60 woodbines a day and lived to be 100. Population level studies show something else."

Quite right, sorry.

buggi

Bird Saviour
My brother was in hospital once. 2 inch crack in his skull, blood clot and swollen brain, which pushed down on his optic nerves as it had nowhere else to swell to, causing severe pain and sight loss, major headache, we couldn't even wear shoes (trainers only) when we went to see him as everynoise severely hurt him. the only pain killers they could give him was paracetamol because they had to do observations on him (such as ensure his eyes dialated) every 15 mins.

He did this after falling over in a sports hall when playing football. When the ambulance arrived they, and his friends, told us he was talking gibberish. Anyone who knows anything about head injuries knows this is VERY bad (talking violently or gibberish can be worse than being unconscious as it signifies brain trauma/damage).

Knowing he did this simply by falling over, means i wear my helmet all the time (particularly as i once came off myself WITH my helmet and was unconscious for 1/2 hour and then had concussion for 3 months (dizzy spells) and occassionaly still get them.

I'm not suggesting they'll make a difference if you get hit by a car, but if you just happen to come of your bike and hit your head then, yes, i think they work.

But personally, i think if you don't wear a helmet... it's your choice... and your funeral. I'd rather not risk it myself. i quite like my personality as it is, although some may disagree :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom