Helmet saved my life yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I had a crash on my club ride yesterday. I was at the back of the group when an oncoming car swerved into our lane while passing a parked car on his side of the road. The group concertina braked and I headed for a gap between the heavily braking guy in front and the curb (while braking) and went down heavily. I badly scraped my leg, cut and bruised my finger and landed upside down still clipped in. When I had recovered enough to sit up I undid my helmet, popped it on the floor and carefully placed my glasses and gloves in it while checking to see if everything else was working as it should, on me and the bike. Without my trusty helmet I would have had to ask a virtual stranger to hold these vital items or else put them DIRECTLY on to the floor :eek: so it really saved my life that day.

sidevalve

Über Member
Aint sarcasm clever. Just think, if you'd left a slightly bigger gap instead of trying to be a road racer you might not have come off anyway.

yawn yawn yawn

can see another boring pointless pro and con argument happening

I don't think that there is any dispute here - helmets make useful baskets for storing gloves and glasses

Drago

Legendary Member
While I'm stuck at home I had a clear out of my cycle clothing and kit. Among the detritus I binned was an old Oxford helmet 'born' on 1998.

Before binning it I tried to smash it by stamping on it, and even me as a fence-sitter in the helmet debate (although I do partake) was quite surprised at the force it took to damage it.

As for our OP, his head alone was the recording instrument inside the lid and if the thought that the helmet saved his life brings him comfort then it would be churlish of us to argue with the sentiment.

I'm glad he's ok, and hope he rides again soon, although I hope he also takes to heed some lessons about techniques for safe positioning when group riding.

Can we not go to the Comedians' Convention system for dealing with this? The one where various people get up to make speeches and every so often members of the audience shout out a number. Every time someone shouts a number the whole audience laughs. A new attendee asks someone what is going on and they explain that, since everyone in the audience is a comedian, they all know all the heckles and jokes so they number them all to save time and just shout out the number.

And in reply to screenman, SEVEN.

Drago

Legendary Member
In the interests of science I propose an experiment.

I need a volunteer. I will ask the volunteer to wear a helmet and then punch them with all my night in the head. We will measure any injury and then proceed to phase 2.

In phase 2 we will repeat the experiment but without the helmet, and compare the injury to any injury received in phase 1.

I'll supply a helmet. We now just need an amateur physicist to volunteer their services, to finally prove whether a lid prevents/reduces injury or not. The man who settles tho debate will be as famous as Sheldon in cycling circles.

In the meantime we can perhaps stick to the topic at hand.

djb1971

Legendary Member
All threads like this should be deleted. They can be read numerous times in different sections on the forum. Thread originators should also have their gonads electrocuted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom