Helmet split and dented, jersey holed, arm gashed, groin strained, yes i've come off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So everyone posting here thinks that a lid will help to reduce the impact of any bang on the head - Glad we are inagreement :thumbsup:
What we dispute is the likelyhood of hitting your head with any damaging impact when you fall off a bike. The fact that it wasn't an issue before Bell invented the cycle helmet and bombarded us with data about how fragile the human brain is suggests that the likelyhood is tiny.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm guessing at about 75ft...
That makes as much sense as the question about the effectiveness of second hand safety gear(cycling helmet).

I know I said I wouldn't continue as I would get into an endless loop although it is only human to debate a point.

This is correct, and the styrofoam is designed to compress as I stated originally and as I am stating again.
Although what you are failing to understand is that when the helmet cracks it means that it sustained enough force to fracture. If the helmet had not fractured then it would indicate that the force applied to the helmet was not enough to exceed it's rating and doesn't suggest that it did or didn't work.
When the helmet fractured it doesn't mean it didn't do it's job and it doesn't mean it was worthless, all it means is that the helmet hit the ground with more force then it could cope with from a structural point of view. Using an old helmet would of potentially meant it had a weakened structure and so didn't protect to as higher standard as it could but the point that it cracked means that it did reduce some of the force.

As I said earlier on, regardless of whether it reduced the force by 25 Newtons or 100 Newtons... it still reduced the force and so reduced the impact force to one that didn't cause serious injury. Without it, he would of received the full amount which could of resulted in a more serious injury.

If there was no compression in the foam and the helmet crack along the line of force, then it did not absorb any force from the impact. All (~100%) of the original impact force was applied to the skull.

Think of those desk ball pendulums where the force of the first ball is passed straight through the middle balls to send the last one into its swing. If the balls in the middle were soft/compressible you can imagine how the last ball would only move a bit, if at all. But they don't compress and the force is able to pass almost unhindered. Same for the helmet, no compression means there was no absorb.

For the record. I always wear a helmet when mtbing and on average crush, dent one every year.

That makes as much sense as the question about the effectiveness of second hand safety gear(cycling helmet).

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to the probable height at which my last comment went over your head. Thank you for allowing me to complete the gag... :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom