Helmet split and dented, jersey holed, arm gashed, groin strained, yes i've come off

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Accy cyclist, 23 Aug 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was only doing about13mph on a path but i came off..the first time since i was 16.:wacko: I was lucky, i l always wear a helmet on long rides, and i reckon the helmet saved me a hospital trip. It's dented near to the rim and the polystyrene has a 2inch split in it. The wheels went from under me as i turned slightly, there has been a problem over the years with tree sap coming from some horse chestnut or conker trees whatever they call them. I went with some impact, my jersey has a hole in it on the shoulder bit, and my shoulder and arm have long but not deep gashes in them. My groin thigh area aches like hell, as well as my thumb. A bloke walking in the cemetery where it happened helped me up and said that he'd slipped the other day on the dodgy path.
    Funnily enough i only obtained that particular helmet last Friday. It had been thrown out with someone's rubbish, i saw it cleaned it up and thought to myself " I wonder if Trax make decent helmets". Well now i know they do!! To those who don't wear a helmet do you feel confident that you wont come off, and if you do will you escape without a serious head injury?:huh:

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Sweet Jesus...

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Here we go....

4. Octet

Octet Über Member

Ouch, sounds ****** painful (excuse my Astrix).
    It is a good job you are wearing a helmet, it is surprising how much crashes can vary. Someone could come off going 30 mph and walk away with a graze yet you could do as you did and come off at 13 mph and seriously injure yourself.

Glad you are OK though, remember to put ice on it!

I am guessing you didn't cycle back home?
    How's the bike as well?

5. Mugshot

Mugshot Guru

That pedestrian sounds like a good samaritan, just as well it wasn't one of the ones you've "buzzed" recently, he may have taken the opportunity to give you a slap :whistle:

dellzeqq likes this.
  6. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

So you pick up a knackered helmet that someone has thrown out and the magic powers it had saved your life. I am glad you are ok with no serious injurys but if you want to go off in to one about helmets please post in the helmet thread.

dave r, Dragonwight and lordloveaduck like this.
  7. :popcorn:

8. BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham Mask is gone!

Glad you are ok.

9. Linford

Linford Guest

Kick the bloke when he is down - he has proved that it works and saved a much more serious injury at 13mph.....

akb likes this.
  10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I've spent 45 years "proving" that I don't need one.

dave r, threebikesmcginty, 4F and 2 others like this.
  11. Drago

Drago Guru

Well, I'm glad he's ok. Do you have any pics of the helmet?

12. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

how has he done that then:huh: actually forget it i cant be bothered

Pat "5mph" and Norm like this.
  13. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

I've literally just posted that we're all capable of logical thought.

I think you might just have proved me wrong.

14. Linford

Linford Guest

Accidents are just that. You don't always have control of how you land..

15. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

I was about to direct you over here after I read that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice