Helmet split and dented, jersey holed, arm gashed, groin strained, yes i've come off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordloveaduck

Why would you wear a used helmet?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Kick the bloke when he is down - he has proved that it works and saved a much more serious injury at 13mph.....
Do you ever post before engaging your brain ? I have done nothing of the sort.

Octet

Veteran
Just thought I might add my view on the discussion, although I am not taking sides:

The helmet sustained enough force to fracture, suggesting that the force was sufficient to do damage. If the rider had not been wearing such a helmet then that same impact would have been against his skull. The forces required to do damage are different but none the less, it was prevented by the use of a helmet.
The only way to truly prove it saved him would be to have a force meter and accelerometer attached to the helmet at the time to measure the impact and then asses whether it would of done damage to the skull.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just thought I might add my view on the discussion, although I am not taking sides:

The helmet sustained enough force to fracture, suggesting that the force was sufficient to do damage. If the rider had not been wearing such a helmet then that same impact would have been against his skull. The forces required to do damage are different but none the less, it was prevented by the use of a helmet.
The only way to truly prove it saved him would be to have a force meter and accelerometer attached to the helmet at the time to measure the impact and then asses whether it would of done damage to the skull.

Or..... with his head being about 2 inches less in diameter my not have contacted the ground at all!

incorrect he was wearing a hemet he found,not knowing if it has allready suffered any impact or not:wacko:

I'm off to rummage around in next door's bins - gonna try and get me one of those Trax helmets....

Octet

Veteran
incorrect he was wearing a hemet he found,not knowing if it has allready suffered any impact or not:wacko:

Yes, but assuming that it hadn't already been fractured then the helmet still sustained sufficient force to crack it.
You still cannot tell whether or not it saved his life because you have no measurements of the impact. Yes, the damaged helmet may not of withstood the full impact it could of done if it was new but it still reduced some.
Therefore the only thing that we can say about this case is that it reduced some of the force.

Yes, but assuming that it hadn't already been fractured then the helmet still sustained sufficient force to crack it.
You still cannot tell whether or not it saved his life because you have no measurements of the impact. Yes, the damaged helmet may not of withstood the full impact it could of done if it was new but it still reduced some.
Therefore the only thing that we can say about this case is that it reduced some of the force.
see rob3rts post above and assume nothing:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom