Helmet split and dented, jersey holed, arm gashed, groin strained, yes i've come off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Who'd buy some cheap and nasty £50 bonce potty?
Rather fewer than will be buying Lidl £9.99 jobbies this weekend?
Aren't they certified to the same level or thereabouts?

Lee_M

Guru
Unfortunately, we have several on this very thread who don't "get it". Motorbike helmets do not split. Safety helmets do not split, nor do safety boots. Seat belts do not split. Yet a bike helmet splits and some believe that this proves that they've worked

I'm not going to get involved in this debate but sorry motorcycle helmets do split, as do safety helmets, and I've been wearing both in the past when they have done so.

Octet

Veteran
Nope. They are designed for the polystyrene to deform to absorb the impact and the plastic shell is there to protect the polystyrene because it has so little structural integrity of its own.

To some extent the foam should compress but by splitting it reduces a larger amount of the force. The outer shell should remain intact to hold it on the head, providing it is designed correctly.
If you drop a glass, dropping it onto the floor it shall smash. Dropping it onto something spongy and it shall slow it down, by dropping it into something that compresses and cracks (like a helmet) you slow it down and remove the force.

Good article here as well in case anyone wants it:
http://www.bhsi.org/general.htm

Rather fewer than will be buying Lidl £9.99 jobbies this weekend?
Aren't they certified to the same level or thereabouts?

I believe so, I would spend a bit more then £10 personally. My newest helmet was £25 but in theory they should protect equally as well. You do pay for more comfort as well though.

Unfortunately, we have several on this very thread who don't "get it". Motorbike helmets do not split. Safety helmets do not split, nor do safety boots. Seat belts do not split. Yet a bike helmet splits and some believe that this proves that they've worked.

like I said - there's always one that doesn't get it. The fact that you are comparing cycle helmets to a pair of safety boots just reinforces the point.

david k

Hi
Unfortunately, we have several on this very thread who don't "get it". Motorbike helmets do not split. Safety helmets do not split, nor do safety boots. Seat belts do not split. Yet a bike helmet splits and some believe that this proves that they've worked.

I think in the first instance this is a logical assumption to make Norm. I'm not saying its true or not as I don't know, but I feel its reasonable for somebody to assume a helmet breaking on impact means it absorbed that impact and therefore was a benefit in this fall/bang.

Norm

I'm not going to get involved in this debate but sorry motorcycle helmets do split, as do safety helmets, and I've been wearing both in the past when they have done so.
Apologies, I had previously in the post say "generally". It is unusual for a bike helmet or a PPE-certified helmet to split. And I wonder whether you should change your avatar if both sorts have split when you've been wearing them. :giggle::thumbsup:
To some extent the foam should compress but by splitting it reduces a larger amount of the force.
I haven't had a chance to read the link yet, but I'm not sure about that. Without the outer skin, polystyrene breaks with very little force.
I believe so, I would spend a bit more then £10 personally. My newest helmet was £25 but in theory they should protect equally as well.
Sadly not. Which? this month rated the Met Camaleonte Executive adult helmet (£50) as a don't buy as they "judged it to have failed the European Standard". Met disputes the results and far from recalling the helmet, I believe that it's still on sale.

The Cratoni C-Air (£20) and the B'Twin Kiddy One (£8!!!) are also rated as Don't Buys as they failed Which?'s tests, even though they did judge them to have passed the European Standard.
like I said - there's always one that doesn't get it. The fact that you are comparing cycle helmets to a pair of safety boots just reinforces the point.
I wasn't comparing the two, I was contrasting the two, but then you wouldn't understand that.
I think in the first instance this is a logical assumption to make Norm. I'm not saying its true or not as I don't know, but I feel its reasonable for somebody to assume a helmet breaking on impact means it absorbed that impact and therefore was a benefit in this fall/bang.
Superficially, yes, but the tests that I've seen (and not having read Octet's link yet) suggest that a cycle helmet which snaps can do so without taking much of the impact.

Octet

Veteran
Sadly not. Which? this month rated the Met Camaleonte Executive adult helmet (£50) as a don't buy as they "judged it to have failed the European Standard". Met disputes the results and far from recalling the helmet, I believe that it's still on sale.

I think it is covered by BS EN 1078:1997?
And then EN 1080 for children's helmets.

Octet

Veteran
Indeed, but Which? felt that the Met helmet failed the test and rated it as a "Don't Buy".

Which what? As far as I am aware, all helmets sold in the UK have to pass either one of those?
Admittedly, a helmet may not withstand the properties it was tested for 'in the field' but it should of been tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom