Helmet split and dented, jersey holed, arm gashed, groin strained, yes i've come off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Or..... with his head being about 2 inches less in diameter my not have contacted the ground at all!

If the knock was hard enough to split it, his head would have definitely have impacted the road with or without the lid, and his head would have been moving at a fair rate of knots.

Irrespective of this, I hope he mends quickly

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If the knock was hard enough to split it, his head would have definitely have impacted the road with or without the lid, and his head would have been moving at a fair rate of knots.

Irrespective of this, I hope he mends quickly

Not necessarily true! Also, given the helmet had been discarded, it may have been damaged prior and split with a much lower force than a new helmet.

I am not coming from an anti-helmet stance here (I don't care either way tbh, although I wear a helmet).

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh nooooo. Not another helmet debate.

Watch your shoulder heals up.
I'd say its more of a second hand helmet debate.

Without wishing to start a helmet debate, do they work or not. Can I ask how many on here would retrieve any other form of protection equipment(helmets are sold as protection equipment) that had been discarded by someone else & then after cleaning it up, go on to use it for its origional purpose.

There had to be a solid reason for it being discared in the first place. The only one I ever had to discard, through impact damage, on a bonnet of a car, was kept until no longer needed(case settled) & then made unusable.

Maybe those that throw such items away should make sure that they cannot be used afterwards.

Octet

Veteran
The helmet didn't work, it broke.

They are designed to, that it has it reduces the impact. If it had remained as a solid piece then the force would of traveled through it and hit his skull.

Or was it sarcasm/joke, I'm not too good with sarcasm :sad:

StuartG

slower but further
Two of us were cycling the Worth Way. I was too close to the guy in front and so when he went down so did I. Identical falls at the same speed onto the same surface.

You may be pleased to know the guy's helmet saved him from injury as he proudly displayed the fractured lid. Coincidentally having no helmet had also saved me from injury. Albeit I did have the smallest of grazes. He had a bill for fifty quid.

There you have it - two great anecdotes for the price of one.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm off to rummage around in next door's bins - gonna try and get me one of those Trax helmets....
dammit, you beat me to it.:biggrin:

david k

Hi
Or..... with his head being about 2 inches less in diameter my not have contacted the ground at all!
if he came off and banged his head i think its likely his head would have hit the ground regardless.

If we were discussing height like going under a tree for example then you may have a case

Octet

Veteran
if he came off and banged his head i think its likely his head would have hit the ground regardless.

Agree, he would have hit his head (unless he was Morpheus from the Matrix) regardless and so no matter how small, the helmet still dispersed some of the impact force.
Re-iterating my original point, unless you had accelerometers and force meters you can't tell whether it 'saved' him but you can say for certain that it reduced the impact.

Drago

Legendary Member
Two of us were cycling the Worth Way. I was too close to the guy in front and so when he went down so did I. Identical falls at the same speed onto the same surface.

You may be pleased to know the guy's helmet saved him from injury as he proudly displayed the fractured lid. Coincidentally having no helmet had also saved me from injury. Albeit I did have the smallest of grazes. He had a bill for fifty quid.

There you have it - two great anecdotes for the price of one.
Who'd buy some cheap and nasty £50 bonce potty?

Norm

They are designed to, that it has it reduces the impact. If it had remained as a solid piece then the force would of traveled through it and hit his skull.
Nope. They are designed for the polystyrene to deform to absorb the impact and the plastic shell is there to protect the polystyrene because it has so little structural integrity of its own.

If the outer shell breaks, which they normally do because they are designed for looks rather than function, then the polystyrene is no longer in the right place to do what it is meant to do.

Helmets which have to pass rigorous tests do not, generally, split.

there's always one that doesn't get it....
Unfortunately, we have several on this very thread who don't "get it". Motorbike helmets do not split. Safety helmets do not split, nor do safety boots. Seat belts do not split. Yet a bike helmet splits and some believe that this proves that they've worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom