Helmet - would you or wouldn't you?

Would you cancel your ride if it meant riding without your helmet?

• Yes don't ride.

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
From the helmet thread, I can't determine the percentage of people who take cycling seriously or helmets seriously.

Would you cancel a ride if it meant riding without a helmet?

classic33

Leg End Member
This is the opposite over here. Many organised rides insist that helmets be worn. For those, I've pulled out of one or two.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What I do or don't do with my cranium is my business, nobody else's. I wear a helmet on my bike out of choice and I would never go to a ski resort that insisted on helmets on the slopes.

I used to organise an annual sponsored ride for a Charity, and provided about 1/3 of their annual income

Then they started excluding people who were not wearing helmets from participating even though they had sponsors

That was when I stopped organising them

Reactions: 2IT

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
From the helmet thread, I can't determine the percentage of people who take cycling seriously or helmets seriously.

Would you cancel a ride if it meant riding without a helmet?
No. And my job is all about risk understanding.
@Moderators - this is a duplicate thread

Cubist

Still wavin'
No. And my job is all about risk understanding.
@Moderators - this is a duplicate thread
Actually, having given it a bit of thought it's a question in its own right, and for the time being can stay separate from the helmet thread. As long as participants stay on topic, and answer the question posed, ie whether they would object to compulsion in an organised ride, then it can stay. Let's just see however how long it will take for the discussion to descend into invective, insult and demands for evidence on the separate question of whether or not helmets are a good thing. A reminder to all that the forum rules are still in play, and not to let this fine question be hijacked by zealots on either side of the debate.

swansonj

Guru
As long as participants stay on topic, and answer the question posed, ie whether they would object to compulsion in an organised ride, then it can stay.
I'm confused now - I read the question as, slightly oddly, the reverse - as, I think, did the first couple of replies - would you still ride if not allowed a helmet?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm confused now - I read the question as, slightly oddly, the reverse - as, I think, did the first couple of replies - would you still ride if not allowed a helmet?
Indeed. But logic dictates that the question will naturally reverse itself. Far more organised events insist on helmets being worn. The OP , as I read it, was throwing up the hypothetical opposite.
@Hill Wimp was the first to answer in this vein, yet the subsequent posts were moving towards a discussion on compulsion

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Indeed. But logic dictates that the question will naturally reverse itself. Far more organised events insist on helmets being worn. The OP , as I read it, was throwing up the hypothetical opposite.
@Hill Wimp was the first to answer in this vein, yet the subsequent posts were moving towards a discussion on compulsion
I don't trhink the OP was asking about formal organised rides, but about going for a ride without a helmet - because it's lost or broken or left at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom