Helmets abroad

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by DaddyPaddey, 2 Oct 2017.

1. DaddyPaddey

DaddyPaddey Active Member

I have just been in Normandy for the week on the Scorpion for the club annual Winedown. Several members commented I was not wearing a helmet, so I said "three wheels, not necessary". However the French do seem to have their own peculiarities [such as reflective jackets] so I wondered whether helmets were compulsory on pedal transport. Anyone know?

2. Drago

Drago Guru

In France? No.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  3. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Dublin yes, along with Hi-Vis & mandatory cycle lane usage.

4. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

No they aren't.

http://dublinbikeblog.com/understanding/cycling-and-the-law-in-ireland/

[edit] - The mandatory cycle path use was repealed in 2012

Observations of cyclists in Dublin back in July was that they looked very similar to British city cyclists. Some wore helmets, some* didn't. Most were in normal clothes. I think I saw one commuter in a high viz vest.

*I'd suggest most, but I could be a little subjective being pro-choice myself.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2017
    snorri likes this.
  5. Drago

Drago Guru

Which "rules of the road" suggest people should wear them? Is it a rule or a suggestion?

6. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

The Rules of the Road is the name of the the Irish equivelent to the Highway code. They have the same distinction as we do that if the rule is backed up by law then you get a 'must' in the rule. The helmet rule doesn't have that.

As someone who doesn't normally tour in a lid, and as I was riding with someone who has a neck injury* that makes wearing a helmet difficult for any distance, I checked this before we went.

*Caused by being hit by a car, while she was wearing a helmet

7. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Helmet discussion? 'Dons body armour and starts defensive manoeuvres'

Moderator edit: Since someone has brought this up - this thread is only about legal requirements for wearing helmets, not about the merits or otherwise of wearing them.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Oct 2017
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

In British Columbia you are supposed to wear one. The police only seem to pull you over as an excuse to search you for weed.

9. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

In France? No.

10. starhawk

starhawk Senior Member

"Three wheels, not necessary" doesn't hold water, what if you are hit from the side?
    Here in Sweden we have a law that children up to 15 has to wear an approved helmet. A proposal to extend the law to include adult pops up every now and then. I wear a helmet, better safe then sorrow.

11. Alex H

Alex H Guru

Only if you're 12 years old or younger :okay:

12. Glow worm

Glow worm Guru

My preferred approach to any compulsory helmet legislation while cycling abroad is to completely ignore it!

Drago, Brandane and Milkfloat like this.
  13. Drago

Drago Guru

What if you are? Even if you believe that helmets work (I deliveberate will not go down that avenue of discussion) they aren't intended to provide protection from vehicluar impact, and you won't find a single manufacturer claiming that they do.

14. OP
    OP
    DaddyPaddey

DaddyPaddey Active Member

I was interested that's all.The Scorpion is a 3 wheel 'bent so felt happy being helmet free. On my Upwrongs, and 2 wheel bent, I prefer to use the helmet as it has saved me on two occasions. One big off resulted in split helmet, and cut head.

15. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Über Member

I would not profess to be a "touring cyclist", but, I do cycle quite frequently in Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Luxembourg), since I use a bicycle as transport when my campervan is "parked up". I am not sure of the legal situation, but, my general observation is that the Brits are the most likely to wear helmets, for "casual" cycling, the rest of our European Cousins appear to wear them for on-road cycling with road bikes, but, otherwise (generally) not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice