1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmets: Should you wear one?

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Shaun, 26 Dec 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

Do you wear a helmet? Should they be made compulsory?

classic33, Fnaar, potsy and 2 others like this.
  2. Neil

Neil New Member

I don't agree they should be made compulsory. We need to encourage people generally to take up cycling and many might be put off because they feel self conscious about wearing a helmet. Making them compulsory for anyone over 16 would, I believe, be an own goal in making cycling more popular. :blush:

Fnaar, clarion, Kies and 1 other person like this.
  3. macca

macca New Member

Impossible to police, think about teens riding around sideroads. If it were that easy to clampdown then they would be off the pavements.

Phew, three posts in the time it takes to conceive and give birth to a human. If this were cyclingplus this would be a hundred pager by now.

4. Serenity

Serenity New Member

Where I am it is mandatory by law to wear a helmet if you are under 18 years of age. A lot of head injuries are taken care of by the health care system because of lack of medical insurance. It is a drain to public funds when careless people allow their children to ride dangerously and cannot afford the medical bills.

Kies, Pier, boybiker and 3 others like this.
  5. Townsend

Townsend New Member

I think helmets should not be mandatory. However, I think anyone over 18 who rides without one and gets brain-injured because of an accident should be decapitated before they cost us too much money.

Wow, I can't believe I said that! :blush:

6. Serenity

Serenity New Member

And do YOU use a helmet every time? I do. I just hope nothing happens to you one day without a lid. Your loved ones would be devastated. :blush:

7. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I always wear one...and I'm thinking of wearing two since i've gone clipless :blush:

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I never wear one and I don't think they should be compulsory.

9. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

I wear a helmet (except when its really hot) but compulsory - no, never. ever.

10. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Of course it shouldn't be compulsory, and no I don't wear one. These two facts are entirely unrelated.

11. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

No and no.
    Compulsion would lead to a decrease in cycling with no commensurate decrease in the number of injuries per mile cycled. It would also be impossible to police.

12. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I wear a helmet most of the time but not always, the rides without are usually shorter trips and not on a roadie. As for compulsion I say NO, it's up to the individuals to make up their own minds!!!

13. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

I always wear a helmet.

I believe in personal choice in the matter.

14. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

I do, as i want to.

15. I wear one and believe the choice should be down to the individual. My girlfriend doesn't always wear one but that's fine by me - it's up to her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.