Helmets: Should you wear one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

Mrs B insists I wear one and until recently, I always kept it on for the whole ride. Since coming off a few months ago and smashing the back of my head on the edge of the kerb, I was frightened into compliance.

This weekend though, the noise of the rain on it was getting on my tits, so I took it off and experienced helmet-free riding; twas a strangely liberating experience and in some ways, I felt more connected to what was going on around me - vision and audio was WAY better. Food for thought.

So - yes and no.

Bren

jacob

I spent a week in hospital with a head injury after I fell from my bike,because I dont want to go through that again,I allways wear a comfortable helmet.Thats my choice.Forcing people to wear helmets would be a home goal,for the nations health.

col

Legendary Member
I know theres a good argument against wearing one,but surely it would protect against knocks on a spill anyway wouldnt it?just as an example ,our friend who took a tumble going over a raised area at the wrong angle to reach another lane,what if he had head slapped sideways ?doesnt bear thinking about really,so im all for them even though i dont wear one myself yet.

Cab

Am I the only person who, when wearing a helmet, invariably finds that motorists come closer?

Joe

Über Member
I wear one 90% of the time. I wouldn't want them to be compulsory though! What do people do about them when your bike is locked up? I used to lock mine to the bike but then someone smashed it up (that's some seriously pointless vandalism) and I had to buy a new one. It's a real pain carrying it around all day!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Always wear on on my road bikes - got a Giro Pheumo so it's pretty cool. The only issue is contributory negligence - we all know what the legal system is like these days.

The only ever time my head has ever hit anything was in an MTB race then a low branch hit my helmet. I've had some nasty road falls, but it's never been my head that's scorched the tarmac - usually my hands, or ass !

Don't tend to wear one if pottering about with the kids (but they wear theirs). Saved my son's forehead from a nasty bump/hospital visit last week when he fell off his bike trying to mount the kerb - fell off and helmet hit kerb not his head.

Blonde

Cab said:
Am I the only person who, when wearing a helmet, invariably finds that motorists come closer?

No, you're not alone in this. This has been welll documented recently. The CTC mag and Cycling Plus both had articles about this research.

I don't wear a helmet any more, as I have made an informed decison not to after reading much evidence that, whilst they significantly decrease the risk of superficial skin injury, they slightly increase the risk of serious neck injury and do not protect the skull against impacts of over 15mph anyway. I have also read that brain injury results from the brain hitting against the inside of the skull, so wearing a helmet would not make any diffrence to this. So, aside from the problem that compulsion would put off children, teengers, elderly people and utility cyclists from taking much needed and greatly beneficial excercise, the above are the main reasons why I personally do not wear one and do not think they should be made compulsory. I am undecided in the case of children's helmets as I know their skulls are not fully formed at the front and they are less likely than an adult to be travelling at speeds over 15mph, so I would need to see and compare the evidence for children's neck injury caused by helmet use as opposed to children's skull fracture caused by not wearing a helmet, as well as deciding which was worst, and I still would not agree with any compulsion by law to wear one.

giant man

Well i shall always wear one have to say, peace of mind and they could save your life one day.

And my young daughter will always wear one too.

And no i don't think they should be made compulsory, it's up to the individual.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I sat on the fence for a long time and about three months ago came down on the side of wearing one...and strangely enough, I'd never go back. I don't wouldn't wear it on a proper cycle path like you find in Holland or Germany but where there are cars, I'd always wear mine. I know there are arguments either way...but I'm happy with my decision.

Kids? Always.

Compulsory? Never.

vbc

I always wear one for commuting, had been wearing one for longer rides in the countryside for about 80% of the time. Had a big 'off' at the end of May (no helmet) resulting in 8 weeks in hospital, head is now not the shape it should be. Would a helmet of helped in a high speed fall from about 5 feet high? Dunno. I do know that I used a lot of NHS time and resources and put my wife and family through a lot of trauma & stress due to the seriousness of my injuries. Have also been off work for 2 months and likely to be for at least another 2 due to a accident in my own time but my employer is still paying me the full whack. I shall always wear a helmet from now on.

As for compulsion though, I would say, no. How could it be enforced for a start - isn't it a legal requirement to have 2 independent braking systems on a bike but how many kids do you see riding around with the brakes deliberately disconnected. Are the police interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom