Helmets: Should you wear one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
Tynan said:
tell me that's a joke, so is individual experience valid or not?

Individual experience tells you little about an issue. If I was bitten by a dog then I might justifiably be scared of all dogs, want them muzzled etc. Whereas a population level study may demonstrate that I was extremely unlikely to be bitten by a dog and that my phobia is misplaced.

i.e. my view about the riskiness of something and the effectiveness and reasonableness of any countermeasures I might want to employ might not be born out by actual facts.

It really isn't difficult.

The point I was making is that the helmet enthusiasts (rather than just wearers) believe that any 'I banged my head and I would have been dead if I wasn't wearing a helmet' statements are proof of the efficacy of helmets despite countries that have helmet compulsion not seeing any head injury reductions at all after legislating. But when Ravenbait says that she hurt her head DUE to wearing a helmet then it is just ignored or a different standard of evidence is expected.

Personally I am very happy if people believe that a helmet will save their lives, and I hope that in the event of a crash then their belief will not proof to be misplaced. The amount of safety equipment they choose to wear is their business and none of mine.

Chris James

Über Member
Oops, missed the smiley. I think I must have my serious head on!

Chris James said:
Personally I am very happy if people believe that a helmet will save their lives, and I hope that in the event of a crash then their belief will not proof to be misplaced.

I have already entered this thread and been shot down for advocating helmets once, yet I return once again......

I'm not sure people think a helmet WILL save their lives. They rather HOPE it will; I include myself amongst these. Moreover I am glad to augment any protection that evolution has given me and as mentioned previously a damaged knee/shoulder is one thing whilst a damaged brain is another.

I am sure there are specific instances of all items of safety equipment which have caused injury to the wearer (people stuck in seatbelts, submariners stuck behind watertight hold doors etc.) but on the balance of probability surely it would be better with than without.

I would not like to see them made compulsory but would certainly encourage others to wear one, just as I (hypocritically you may say) encourage others not to smoke even though I do so myself.

col

Legendary Member
DustBowlRefugee said:
I have already entered this thread and been shot down for advocating helmets once, yet I return once again......

I'm not sure people think a helmet WILL save their lives. They rather HOPE it will; I include myself amongst these. Moreover I am glad to augment any protection that evolution has given me and as mentioned previously a damaged knee/shoulder is one thing whilst a damaged brain is another.

I am sure there are specific instances of all items of safety equipment which have caused injury to the wearer (people stuck in seatbelts, submariners stuck behind watertight hold doors etc.) but on the balance of probability surely it would be better with than without.

I would not like to see them made compulsory but would certainly encourage others to wear one, just as I (hypocritically you may say) encourage others not to smoke even though I do so myself.

Well said :biggrin:;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As a very well experienced cyclist, I don't think that, over time, wearing of a helmet contributes to risk - it might do to a new person, but not to the majority.

To be honest, I find a proper quality helmet help's cooling, not makes you hot.... I won't name the manufacturer, but the better the helmet the better they are for cooling. The low vent helmets are terrible.

I won't go into contributory negligence or what ever people get worked up about, but a good quality helmet actually helps cooling - my lid does, otherwise I'd be dripping everywhere ! It's really just not worth arguing about - I'm a roadie and commuter, but wear the lid, I only don't wear it when with the kids away from the road - they do as they have a tendancy to fall off. I insist my kids wear a helmet - both OK about it, but my son realised just a few weeks ago - he tripped over his bike / fell off, helmet hit the kurb, not his head - saved us a trip to A&E.......... he then thought how good a lid was - aged 6..........

Brock

DustBowlRefugee said:
Ooh should we bow or something? :biggrin:
DustBowlRefugee said:
Encouraging people not to smoke is probably helpful, providing your victim is receptive to such advice, after all, science has proved that smoking is bad for you.
What evidence are you drawing on when you 'advocate' helmet usage? Choosing to wear one yourself is fine, but if you're going to tell others to wear one, surely you should have more than a gut feeling that it seems to be kind of a good idea because the helmet makers almost imply it is, and it just seeeeeeems sensible?
I genuinely feel that misconceptions about the benefits of cycle helmets are a far greater danger than not wearing one.

col

Legendary Member
In my opinion,its common sense to think an impact with a helmet between your head and something,is going to be less severe.I cant understand the argument,about the way a helmet could have caused an impact because of its thickness or shape?

col said:
In my opinion,its common sense to think an impact with a helmet between your head and something,is going to be less severe.I cant understand the argument,about the way a helmet could have caused an impact because of its thickness or shape?

Can't argue with that mate......But I bet someone else can!

yenrod

If they were made compulsive then I would ALL the time...BUT they aren;t so it doesn't bother me :biggrin:

Though I wear mine for training all the time though..

Admin said:
Do you wear a helmet? Should they be made compulsory?

mikeitup

Veteran
Wow it really amazes me how "excited" people get with the"helmet" debates. :biggrin:

Personally, me looking a twat anyway and being accident prone, I wear a helmet. (so do my kids)

Should they be compulsory? No.

snorri

Legendary Member
mikeitup said:
Wow it really amazes me how "excited" people get with the"helmet" debates. :biggrin:

I'm amazed that you are amazed, and excited is not the right word, it should be concerned.
Legislation which would reduce the convenience of the bicycle as a mode of transport, like having to wear special clothing, is of concern to me!:biggrin:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Do you wear a helmet? Should they be made compulsory?

I used to! And I thought anybody who didn't was mad. Then I stopped (presumably after going mad).

Every so often I'll try one on at the bike shop and check the mirror
wiggo.gif

to see how I'd look in a parallel universe where we are all compelled to wear one. Give it a rap with my knuckles, as if that was part of the Snell test. Then take it off, relieved I'm in this universe after all. For now.

zombie-escher.jpg

PS. Yeah, it's an old thread. It's an old topic. Now if you'll excuse me I've got a headphone thread across the pond to bump.

Last edited:
Reactions: srw
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom