Helmets why doesn't everyone wear them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikeman

Now I feel this may be a heated subject and I'm not trying to cause unrest by why doesn't everyone wear them? Mine seems comfy, don't notice I'm wearing it. It might just save my head which is good they seem to fit with the cycling "look" ?

Now I feel this may be a heated subject and I'm not trying to cause unrest by why doesn't everyone wear them? Mine seems comfy, don't notice I'm wearing it. It might just save my head which is good they seem to fit with the cycling "look" ?

The important word is "might"

If you feel that you need one, then wear one, if you don't think you need one, don't wear one

mark1974

i dont wear one dont like them dont wear hats or caps either
if you think back to when you was a teenager no one ever worn them
suppose its down to personnal preference

Perhaps the European Cycling Federation leaflet on the topic will help.

Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 07.09.55.png

John_c

Pardon the pun, but for me its a no brainer....
The brain is the main CPU, without it none of the peripherials (arms legs etc) will work.

I can still funcion to near normal levels with a busted leg/arm, the same is not true with brain damage.

OP
OP
P

Pikeman

i dont wear one dont like them dont wear hats or caps either
if you think back to when you was a teenager no one ever worn them
suppose its down to personnal preference

But I also sat in the front of the car as a child with no seat belt and I would not let my kids do that, suppose I'm conditioned to it having ridden motorbikes for years. I certainly don't let the children on their bikes without a helmet so I think I should wear one too.

byegad

Legendary Member

Not everyone is convinced they work.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think people should wear helmets when cycling, especially children, but sometimes I forget to put mine on.
My girls wouldn't think of going out without theirs, because they've always "had" to put it on. But because they weren't the norm when I was growing up, I have to think twice about it.
Like when they first brought in compulsory seat belts, a lot of people didn't see the point, but now it's second nature to buckle up -well, for all but a few.
I have a friend who is only alive because he had a helmet on, and he makes a persuasive argument (with graphic photographs to illustrate a point!)

nathanicola

You make your choice, You take your chances.
The only time i go out with no helmet is when its so cold that i have to wear a thick wooly hat but i find a helmet gives me a false feeling of being invincable and i tent to take more chances. The wife used to go out every day with no helmet but i persuaded her to wear one as where she cycles if she came off and hit here head she might not get found for hours, that and the fact she likes to eat the tarmac quite often.

Sprocker

Regular
I never wore one as a kid, and after many spills I'm still OK (I think...).

When I got back into it recently my wife MADE me buy one, and being a Yorkshireman and having spent £50 on one, I am damn sure I'm going to wear it just to get my moneys worth!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom