Helmets why doesn't everyone wear them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear a helmet most of the time like when commuting or blasting about the country lanes. Sometimes I don't, like going to the shops. The last tour I did I rarely wore it except in busy areas. Mine is white so I wear if for visibility more than anything else.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... I'm not trying to cause unrest

yes you are.

tadpole

I wear a helmet now mainly because the one and only RTA I've had whilst cycling, involved a head impact that would have killed me, the Police, ambulance staff and hospital staff that treated me all agree. My head hit the ground with enough force to drive the road debris (a 10mm bolt) through my helmet and 2mm into my scalp, had I not been wearing a helmet, that bold would have gone 25-30mm into my brain.
Ok a chance in a million, but that one in a million chance happens all the time.

Lee_M

Guru
I wear a helmet now mainly because the one and only RTA I've had whilst cycling, involved a head impact that would have killed me, the Police, ambulance staff and hospital staff that treated me all agree. My head hit the ground with enough force to drive the road debris (a 10mm bolt) through my helmet and 2mm into my scalp, had I not been wearing a helmet, that bold would have gone 25-30mm into my brain.
Ok a chance in a million, but that one in a million chance happens all the time.

there'll be someone along in a minute to say the helmet didnt save you and without it your skull would have miraculously not been affectd.

Its good enough for bradley and cav, so its good enough for me

ohnovino

Large Member
Its good enough for bradley and cav, so its good enough for me

Bradley+Wiggins+returns+home+after+his+Tour+de+France+victory

MarkF

Guru
I wonder if these threads appear in Dutch cycling forums?

I've never worn one and good lady has never worn one. My kids are 18, 14 & 11, they have never worn one and the youngest two cycle to school, short distance but along a major road. If I asked my kids to wear one they'd think I'd gone crackers.

The next door neighbors kids have to wear helmets, gloves and knee pads on the very rare occasions that they cycle, what a palaver, no wonder they rarely do.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I wonder if these threads appear in Dutch cycling forums?

I've never worn one and good lady has never worn one. My kids are 18, 14 & 11, they have never worn one and the youngest two cycle to school, short distance but along a major road. If I asked my kids to wear one they'd think I'd gone crackers.

The next door neighbors kids have to wear helmets, gloves and knee pads on the very rare occasions that they cycle, what a palaver, no wonder they rarely do.

Gloves are a good idea though.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Newer helmets seem a lot more ventilated and comfy than the terrible older ones Halfords did and do still sell, so I dont mind wearing it and do so most of the time. I personally believe they reduce the risks, particularly where I ride mostly traffic free or cycle paths, where I feel the biggest risk is falling off.

That said, mine was bought for me and I probably wouldnt have bought one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom