Helmets will be obsolete in 10 years... a prediction, folly or vested interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
How about ye olde 17th Century design?

Ruff-Portrait-by-Michiel-Jansz-van-Miereveldt-c1628-244x300.jpg

Guaranteed to keep the head off the ground, but might not stop the broken spines from rotational injuries!

Attachments

• Ruff-Portrait-by-Michiel-Jansz-van-Miereveldt-c1628-244x300.jpg
    Ruff-Portrait-by-Michiel-Jansz-van-Miereveldt-c1628-244x300.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 54

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Personally it strikes me as an over-engineered solution, and it would be better to spend time looking at how to make sure helmets provide (even) more protection.
Or even - radical thought - doing the risk assessment properly and removing the source of risk and the perceived need for a third party to wear protection.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They can invent any old tat that will promise to protect your head. But I still won't be wearing it.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
What is this thread even doing in this forum? Isn't there a special place circle of hell for helmet discussions?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03315/Hovding-bikes_4_3315311b.jpg isn't a helmet, it's 'neckwear' (what ever that is!)

As I stated in the op:
Without wishing to start a helmet/ no helmet debate, I wish to inject some comment on the viability of neck wear which has the ability to produce safety to the head, as a result of serious impact, and whether anyone would be likely to use this?
This isn't about helmets...

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I think if there was something that one could wear without it seeming like 'protection' then that would be an advantage.

We drive a car in our 'normal' clothing and the machine protects us (crumple zones/airbags/seatbelts) so it is normalised.
Now, I don't want to get into all the arguments about the motorists responsibility to look out for the other, more vulnerable road users, but if people could wear something that had the perceived protection of a helmet and not actually wear a helmet then that must be good, yes?
It's stupid but I wear a helmet not for the supposed protection, but for the fact that if I get mown down my bereaved can at least 'stand my ground' in a "at least I was doing the right thing" kind of way, against the numpty that squashed me.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03315/Hovding-bikes_4_3315311b.jpg isn't a helmet, it's 'neckwear' (what ever that is!)

As I stated in the op:
Without wishing to start a helmet/ no helmet debate, I wish to inject some comment on the viability of neck wear which has the ability to produce safety to the head, as a result of serious impact, and whether anyone would be likely to use this?
This isn't about helmets...

It still doesn't belong in SC&P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom