Help Building Pain Cave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Why do you feel the need to be doing short, hard sessions at this time of year? I'd say, your ideal training now would be longer miles at low intensity, building up to HIIT sessions early in the new year. No point looking to peak at Christmas!

BTW if your goal is solely completing an ironman you most definitely don't 'need' a Power Meter. I have a few friends who completed IMW this year and ironically the one who has a power Meter was the slowest out of all of them.

Buck

Guru
If you've got room in the garage or can make room, go for that option.

That way you don't need to keep putting it away after use.

As far as which turbo etc. I am clueless but wondering if you know anyone local who has one that you could try and then see what the best price new or used is ?.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
IMAG0615.jpg
But I wanna see inside!
IMAG0616.jpg

Buck

Guru
Cheers @huwsparky

I think if the ride is 112 then as you say, some endurance training in the bike is in order. Partly for TP to get used to the hours in the saddle and pacing to make sure that the distance is achievable. TP - do you know the course? What do you think your average speed will be?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Find a road. And ride it

Our turbo expert hasn't been seen for a bit but @Rob3rt is a genius at training on these for time trials. It takes some serious commitment to train on a turbo and Rob has it. He does his race TT training on it and is at National Class on TTs. He is a fast lad. That's how he gets his training in due to work and family life.

Training for racing on a turbo is seriously hard mentally. I couldn't do it. I prefer the roads.

I can't even try my hand again at TTs with the amount of fixed gear road riding I do, but I am faster than I was as a 20 year old. I'm unfortunately on banned drugs just to feel normal. Can't race.

Mix it up. Use turbos to get the high end, but also use road riding. If short on time, can you commute on the bike. It's a good way of getting a good work out. Sprint from lights, keep a good pace, sprint for spaces.... Oh and avoid getting run over.... Good for reflexes.

Buck

Guru

Nice. You need to get your sockets on the wall behind the TV to give it that slick finish :okay:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Cheers @huwsparky

I think if the ride is 112 then as you say, some endurance training in the bike is in order. Partly for TP to get used to the hours in the saddle and pacing to make sure that the distance is achievable. TP - do you know the course? What do you think your average speed will be?

It will be, but don't worry about my training plan - it is in the hands of Ironmen ;)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Nice. You need to get your sockets on the wall behind the TV to give it that slick finish :okay:
Its work in progress as i only fitted the screen this afternoon.......TT bike is still at the old house and will be fitted tomorrow and all cabling tidied up

huwsparky

Über Member
Which IM you thinking of doing?

For what is worth, you need to be concentrating primarily on endurance. Boosting your power by 10% will give you nothing like the gain that boosting your zone 2 capabilities by 10% would.

No point you doing the same training as a TT rider if you want to be as fast as you can be over ironman distances.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Which IM you thinking of doing?

For what is worth, you need to be concentrating primarily on endurance. Boosting your power by 10% will give you nothing like the gain that boosting your zone 2 capabilities by 10% would.

No point you doing the same training as a TT rider if you want to be as fast as you can be over ironman distances.

I have entry to IM Staffs 70.3 and IMUK Bolton. I'm raising money in memory of my father in law and my father for Scope and Bloodwise.

Nine/ten months of endurance training destroys the morale, and body. I'm taking the advice of people who have done multiple ironman events, coaches, and using winter for speed. Endurance training I'll build from February to July.

I've read a fair amount about Fink, Maffetone and other high volume approaches, and used Maffetone method for (light, avg 4hr/wk) training since 2012 - I haven't improved much and I put on ten kilos. Working hard and fast now means any injury can be recovered from, those session will reduce as the events come closer.

Zone 2 itself is up for much debate, a dozen different methods of calculation are about - I prefer Ben Greenfield's but it gives higher zones than say Karvonnen. These days bike training, and race pacing is better served by power meters. Iirc 75% FTP for IM bike should balance the bike speed with legs for the marathon. Heart rate during an event doesn't do it.

Top Bottom