Help Building Pain Cave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Next up is the power meter, and session plans I guess.

Are you still planning on doing the speed work before the base work?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I need to train a lot. I'm not a strong cyclist, and I have two Ironman events next year. Hence I'm setting up some indoor home trainingnext week.

Front room - dismissed, too hot, too noisy, too much hassle.
Garage - could make space, has power, boiler, uneven concrete floor, potential for hassle as wife chucks shoot in there randomly.
Shed - would have to empty, has no power, not sure of wifi signal.

1 Probably garage?

Kit
2 Which and which Type of trainer?
3 Which power meter?
4 What does trainer road add/cost?
5 iPad or Xbox one?
6 Anything else?

7 Is releasing the bike always easy?
If something is hassle I won't do it. I've heard you need turbo wheels/tyres.
If it isn't easy to get the bike out and go, I won't ride outside. I'm expecting an hour or two per week on it, depending on the weather until February.

8 So, buy another bike and plug it into the trainer, or use existing bike on non-race wheels?

9 Is the turbo a good place to practice the aero tuck?
10 What the hell is the bill for all this crap going to be..?!
11 Or, screw all that and use a watt bike at the gym and spin classes? ;)

Cheers,

TP
I wish you luck.

I bought a tacx flow last year, the one that you can plug into a laptop...used it twice, once in anger, sold it a month or two later for more than I paid for it...it sold it 30 seconds..Literally. I couldn't believe it, sold and paid for by Pay-pal in less than one minute.

I thought it was an error and if I hadn't only just bought it I would have been convinced I had under sold it.

they are very popular in the Autumn

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I wish you luck.

I bought a tacx flow last year, the one that you can plug into a laptop...used it twice, once in anger, sold it a month or two later for more than I paid for it...it sold it 30 seconds..Literally. I couldn't believe it, sold and paid for by Pay-pal in less than one minute.

I thought it was an error and if I hadn't only just bought it I would have been convinced I had under sold it.

they are very popular in the Autumn

I can see it. My mate bought it last season, did one session. Now it's on loan to me :smile:. I've done one...lets see if no.2 ever happens ;)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I can see it. My mate bought it last season, did one session. Now it's on loan to me :smile:. I've done one...lets see if no.2 ever happens ;)
I'm not sure what the answer is...other than discipline.

to me, the faff (albeit far less faff than going out to the gym) of setting it up and the sheer dullness of riding for even an hour made it tough to get into.

Sounds daft but could you possibly facetime a mate who is also training and try and get some sort of virtual club ride thing going? that might be enough to motivate me, knowing that my mates around the world are sat in their sheds waiting for me to rock up and get sweating.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Are you still planning on doing the speed work before the base work?

Yes.

But it's not like I'm doing no long rides, it's just he focus is on shorter session for the next six weeks. This from another forum (the first week is done).

"I have two weeks with midweek midday free time, so I'll be able to get up to 11hrs training in now, a mid morning and early afternoon session but no free time evenings or weekends, so Il just do some core work then. Only long session will be a lake swim/run.

From then my "base"* will be 6 stretching to 10.5hrs this is expecting an avg 7-8hrs.

Mon 30min run
Tue* 10min jog + 1hr hard club run(z4/5) + 10min jog
Wed 1hr hard ride
Thu* 15min easy bike + 1hr track session club run (z4/5) + 15min bike
Fri 15min easy bike + 45min swim tech + 30min watt bike hard + 15min easy bike
Sat 30min (total) easy bike + 30min swim + ~25min park run 5k(z4/5)*
Sun morning 2-3hr bike(z2/4)* ~4-800m climbed, evening swim (tri group) 45min + 30 easy bike

Base sessions starred. "

That gets me to November, the 4th week will be recovery, and I'll look to shake it up again then.

A standard IM plan will start in six months before July 17th, so Jan 17th, the 220 plan if I have got another by then.

I might do the Wiggle South Downs 50odd miler in two weeks, and a local half marathon in Nov.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm not sure what the answer is...other than discipline.

to me, the faff (albeit far less faff than going out to the gym) of setting it up and the sheer dullness of riding for even an hour made it tough to get into.

Sounds daft but could you possibly facetime a mate who is also training and try and get some sort of virtual club ride thing going? that might be enough to motivate me, knowing that my mates around the world are sat in their sheds waiting for me to rock up and get sweating.
Not a bad idea.

Mainly it's variety that keeps me going. A run on Tuesday makes even a turbo session on Weds appealing. And if it was cold wet and windy, maybe very appealing. :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not a bad idea.

Mainly it's variety that keeps me going. A run on Tuesday makes even a turbo session on Weds appealing. And if it was cold wet and windy, maybe very appealing. :smile:
I would imagine a facetime session would be quite a laugh, almost like a group ride but with the ability to chat all the time. the only limitation you might find is how to deal with the silence as things get serious and you get your heads down a bit. by then you may all be sufficiently addicted.

can these turbos create a file that you can upload to strava...that might help motivate you too. failing that make a manual upload...but I suspect that relies on honesty

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I just recite the 50 or so poems I know off by heart over and over in me 'ead. Can't beat a bit of culture mixed with exercise. But I am a bit weird. :rofl:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Only relevant advice out of the fitting today was to look for pedal based power meters like Garmin Vector.

I'm interested in the Limits British design, but they seem to be very early days in terms of retailing.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
PEDALS

Yes, Garmin Vectors are very "faffy" - which may not suit you - as you will need to regularly check they are torqued correctly, otherwise power readings are incorrect (so need a accurate large torque wrench, which are not cheap) and need to recalibrate it manually before every ride (which has 2 stages to it !). I got pedals as I was recovering from an accident and wanted to check L/R leg balance.

If going for pedals, I personally would go for PowerTap P1 (cheaper at £999) - torque does not affect power readings and calibration is done automatically. PowerTap accuracy and robustness seem to be the gold standard.

Note that with new pedals, you may (probably will) have to use cleats different to your existing ones, and the pedals may be slightly further out than your existing ones (e.g. if using Vector 1 with pedal spacers) - both will affect your cleat set up you just had done (even a couple of mm difference in width plus a couple of mm difference in stack height , for each foot, could all add up to a pretty large difference in the cleat position and saddle position as advised in your bike fitting).

REAR WHEEL

I am getting myself a powertap rear wheel for winter - used to have one, no faffing around, just get on and pedal, very reliable readings too! On sale currently at cyclepowermeters for c£550 - top value! Also has the added advantage of serving as a "winter training wheel", so that my "summer wheels" don't get ruined and last longer.

P.S. See DC Rainmaker's site for good write-ups on various power meters.

Hope that helps :okay:

Saw this:
http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powertap-c1-chainrings-3287-p.asp
Campag compatibility, the only problem seems to be that it's on preorder.

400bhp

Guru
PEDALS

I am getting myself a powertap rear wheel for winter - used to have one, no faffing around, just get on and pedal, very reliable readings too! Apart from your power readings, you wouldn't even know you had a power meter! On sale currently at cyclepowermeters for c£550 - top value! Also has the added advantage of serving as a "winter training wheel", so that my "summer wheels" don't get ruined and last longer.

P.S. See DC Rainmaker's site for good write-ups on various power meters.

Hope that helps :okay:

Which one are you getting?

Should I build a pain cave in the garage...?:whistle:

400bhp

Guru
Getting this WheelSet for winter rides / turbo sessions...
http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powertap-g3-alloy-wheelset-942-p.asp

Yes, definitely - you could ride steady home from work for 20 mins as a warm up, then hook your bike onto your turbos when you get home and then do just 45mins with intervals on Tues and Thurs, say. Very slowly but surely ramp up the length of the intervals or reduce the recovery time each week, and you'll definitely start to notice the difference out on the road after a month or so :okay:

The turbo is hard graft :sweat:

Hmmmm

Also looking at another bike at mo...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom