Help Building Pain Cave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

It will be, but don't worry about my training plan - it is in the hands of Ironmen ;)

That's what worries me. There is no logic or convention behind doing speed work before building base mileage. Huw is spot on - you've got to build endurance first. Long steady miles in winter may be seen as 'dull, boring', etc (although I don't agree), but that is usually how committed athletes train.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru

Thats looking good.

I have some way to go.

image.jpg

Note the "Ironman" ironing board, I'll use that for inspiration :laugh:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Ditch the clubs, buy a new bike.
Well spotted, I thought it was too hard to see in that pic.

Seven years honing and refining the make up of the bag to a perfect combination of imported exotics and Japanese forged irons - that's not gonna happen :biggrin: Even if they get two outings per year :cry:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well spotted, I thought it was too hard to see in that pic.

Seven years honing and refining the make up of the bag to a perfect combination of imported exotics and Japanese forged irons - that's not gonna happen :biggrin: Even if they get two outings per year :cry:
Like your style on the clubs.........what forgings are they???

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Like your style on the clubs.........what forgings are they???

Vega RAFC-01 Nippon Steel 950GH shafts, great fitting from a friend of mine who now has a European posting with Callaway. Absolutely perfect for my swing, grouping on the 6i was pretty impressive on Trackman for my 13HCP when I was playing regularly.

Given all that up in the quest for Ironman bragging rights, but might have a couple of rounds at Woburn soon... ;)

jowwy

Vega RAFC-01 Nippon Steel 950GH shafts, great fitting from a friend of mine who now has a European posting with Callaway. Absolutely perfect for my swing, grouping on the 6i was pretty impressive on Trackman for my 13HCP when I was playing regularly.

Given all that up in the quest for Ironman bragging rights, but might have a couple of rounds at Woburn soon... ;)
Nice - im a qualified club builder myself

Love the vegas

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Ok all,

I've borrowed a TACX turbo, it has a cable where you choose the resistance 1-10.

The wheel isn't central, which bothers me.

I have a charged iPad.

I hear there are YouTube vids to watch as you train, where are they and do they tell you when to change resistance?

TP

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 52

ushills

Veteran
Have a look at the Sufferfest videos or/and TrainerRoad.

I use both with Taxc Rollers and use the TR training plan.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hear there are YouTube vids to watch as you train, where are they and do they tell you when to change resistance?
TP
Just set it to whatever suits whatever you are watching at the time!

If the rider on the screen goes round a sharp bend and the road suddenly kicks up to 20% then slam it into the highest resistance that the TT has.

If you are on a long fast descent then you would need to spin against a much lower resistance, and so on.

As for where the videos are .. Er, a search for 'turbo trainer videos' on YouTube finds 27,500 of them!

jowwy

Ok all,

I've borrowed a TACX turbo, it has a cable where you choose the resistance 1-10.

The wheel isn't central, which bothers me.

I have a charged iPad.

TP
release the wheel with the bue handle - then on the opposite side wind out the arm a bit further to push the wheel across, wind in the opposite arm with the handle and then reclamp

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Just set it to whatever suits whatever you are watching at the time!

If the rider on the screen goes round a sharp bend and the road suddenly kicks up to 20% then slam it into the highest resistance that the TT has.

If you are on a long fast descent then you would need to spin against a much lower resistance, and so on.

As for where the videos are .. Er, a search for 'turbo trainer videos' on YouTube finds 27,500 of them!

Nearly through the first result on YouTube. I suppose you have to gauge your own effort levels.

Should've brought a towel
In.

Any cadence, or doesn't it matter?

It's a bit tricky to get a smooth feeling.

Citius

Set the resistance up to reflect a 'road' feel and just leave it - then just vary the effort using gears and cadence. If you are just pulling random videos off YT it doesn't sound very structured?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Set the resistance up to reflect a 'road' feel and just leave it - then just vary the effort using gears and cadence. If you are just pulling random videos off YT it doesn't sound very structured?

I'll try that. I was going to ask about gearing.

Structured? Not yet, I wanted to get it set up and running before the bad weather and heavy work commitments.

It seems to work, I'm sweating, heart rate is up etc.

Next up is the power meter, and session plans I guess.

I'm at CadencePerformance tomorrow for a Retul based fit, I'll see what the cheapest lower options they have while I'm there. Can't seem to find any crank based ones compatible though there is some rumour that an FSA crank might fit my Miche/Veloce set up.

Top Bottom