Help I am going Mad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OrdinaryGuy1

First ever post in a cycling Forum and hoping they are not as vicious as Poker Forums :-)
I have been given a Giant Control Mini Pro Co2 pump and I want to use it as a manual pump not Co2 and for Schrader valves. Can I do that can I .....!!!
The Schrader bit is right at the end of the pump in-line with it so if you put it on the wheel you would be banging your hands into the spokes to do any pumping.
The Presta and Co2 bits are at right angles to the pump and obviously I want to get the Schrader into one of those positions.
I have managed to get the whole head off and remove the presta and co2 sides but cannot work out how to get the Schrader part at a right angle to the pump stem so I can use it
Any help will prevent a nervous breakdown!!! :-)

Attachments

• IMG_20170325_075648440.jpg
    IMG_20170325_075648440.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20170325_075737470.jpg
    IMG_20170325_075737470.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 31

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome!:welcome:

I'm not familiar with that pump but hopefully someone will be along soon who is.

OP
OP
O

OrdinaryGuy1

Thanks for that Tim. I so wish you were right all my problems would be over but sadly no. I'll post some more pics to explain. The Co2 is clearly marked as such and is one of the holes that is at a right angle to the pump handle where I need the Schrader to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20170325_105613906.jpg
    IMG_20170325_105613906.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20170325_105642588.jpg
    IMG_20170325_105642588.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170325_105707026.jpg
    IMG_20170325_105707026.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20170325_105717250.jpg
    IMG_20170325_105717250.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
O

OrdinaryGuy1

Well this is going well!!! ^_^

Tim Hall

Thanks for that Tim. I so wish you were right all my problems would be over but sadly no. I'll post some more pics to explain. The Co2 is clearly marked as such and is one of the holes that is at a right angle to the pump handle where I need the Schrader to be.
That's bizarre. The hole clearly (and wrongly IMO) labeled CO2 is the wrong shape for CO2 cartridge. Here's a snap of my combined CO2 inflator/handpump thingy where the CO2 attaches. You can see it's threaded, just like the hole in the end of your pump.
2017-03-26 16.58.42.jpg

And here's a snap of a schrader connector (from a different pump). As you can see, it has no thread, just a fat old grommet, which grips onto the valve when the lever is twizzled into the engaged position.

Reversible valve head - Presta and Schrader valve compatible
2017-03-26 16.58.59.jpg

Hmm.Having scratched my head some more, had a squint at the Giant website and read their marketing blurb here's what I think the deal is.

CO2 definitely screws into the end. It comes OUT of the hole marked C02. the pictogram on the pump suggests AIR from when you use the hand pump bit comes out of the other hole. The blurb says it has "Reversible valve head - Presta and Schrader valve compatible". What happens if you unscrew the ring marked Presta only? Is there a flippable over bit inside? What does the engraving on the end of the pump say, near the CO2/Schrader hole?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Agreeing with Tim (except his last bit), I surmise that the end hole is to screw the CO2 canister in; the hole marked CO2 is where the CO2 comes out, and fits a Presta valve (only?) and air delivered at pressure by hand pumping exits through the hole marked "Presta Only" (fits a Presta valve only and will not adapt to Schrader).
Get one of the old flexible hose (circa 4" long) which screws onto a hole that air comes out of when you pump (I assume there's one of those) and has a Schrader fitting on the end.

OP
OP
O

OrdinaryGuy1

Hi Thanks Mrs M Ajax and Tim
Having thought it through again I completely agree Tim with what you are saying the canister would go at the end and there simply isn't a slot for a Schrader even though the pump is sold as Schrader compatible. I am assuming that whoever had the pump before me (my neighbour found it and gave it to me so we do not know its origin) may have had a Schrader adapter but threw it away. Oh well may look into getting what you are on about Ajax or may just put it all down to experience and accept it is a freebie I cannot make use of

Ajax Bay

Guru
Little brass adaptor or (as suggested above) the flexible connector that screws into a 'normal' pump.
No recommendation made for this particular item, just offered so you can see what's needed. Your LBS will sell you one for not much. You can fit it permanently to the pump, ready for that unexplained flat.

OP
OP
O

OrdinaryGuy1

Little brass adaptor or (as suggested above) the flexible connector that screws into a 'normal' pump.
No recommendation made for this particular item, just offered so you can see what's needed. Your LBS will sell you one for not much. You can fit it permanently to the pump, ready for that unexplained flat.

Thanks helpful and kind. I think that's the answer

Top Bottom