Help identifying bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Genius, why did I never think if that

Like me, I have always started at the bottom and worked upwards.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, I don't understand why this isn't the normal way to do it? I've done it 4 or 5 times now and never had any issues, other than falling off a few weeks later and tearing said new tape :sad:

Depends on the tape - I've had some tape 'lift' at the edges taped top to bottom due to hand grip on the hood/tops or drops - I do it bottom to top now

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Genius, why did I never think if that

there is a potential downside that due to the overlaps facing the way they do, they can get rubbed on the curve above the hood, depending on how you hold your bars. That was the way the old cloth tape was always wrapped. It does look neat though

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1696325481657.png

1696325510543.png

best of both worlds, colour matched to the bike but keeps clean and isn't boring.

dark tan leather leather on the vintage bikes though

and for some reason I have fluorescent green on my green gravel / tourer bike. Questionable taste but at least I dont lose the bike in crowded cafe...... :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to wrapping like @I like Skol . No unsightly black tape in the middle. It does have to be wrapped tightly though to not come loose.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
+1 to wrapping like @I like Skol . No unsightly black tape in the middle. It does have to be wrapped tightly though to not come loose.

on my bikes with bar end shifters, I use a "hidden" piece of insulation tape on the taper edge where you start wrapping, which then gets wrapped over to assist with preventing the starting end coming loose. The self adhesive centre strip should then hold the rest in place..

Top Bottom