Help identifying this fella

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Just got back from the supermarket and noticed this stowaway in the pack of celery.
20210806_202459.jpg

From the skin it looks like it is an amphibians, so I am guessing a newt. Nothing exotic though, as the celery comes from Cambridgeshire.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If he had a numberplate on :laugh:

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
Lightly fried it will be just like chicken
I should have added something to show the scale, it is actually tiny, half the length of my pinky.

I have actually had alligator, battered and deep fried, and it did indeed taste like chicken, though alligators are reptiles, so not good as a guide for what newt would taste like.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That looks like a house gecko. We have loads of them here, they eat mosquitoes and other small insects. About the size of your thumbnail.
Also common to South east Asia and around the med. Don't know why one would turn up in Cambridgeshire.

Buck

Guru
I agree with @classic33 - it looks very much like a palmate newt. Common in the UK.

ETA : http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/6101/british-amphibians-palmate-newt/

we have them in our garden both in and around the pond

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
I agree with @classic33 - it looks very much like a palmate newt. Common in the UK.

ETA : http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/6101/british-amphibians-palmate-newt/

we have them in our garden both in and around the pond
I've let it out next to a stream near us. I guess that it was hiding in the celery plant when the pickers came, and somehow survived the packing and transport process.

It is definitely an amphibian and not a reptile, as its skin is wet, and doesn't have scales.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I've let it out next to a stream near us. I guess that it was hiding in the celery plant when the pickers came, and somehow survived the packing and transport process.

It is definitely an amphibian and not a reptile, as its skin is wet, and doesn't have scales.
Aye then classic 'scythe wielding maniac' 33 is certainly on point. Haven't seen one a newt in a very long time.

Could be a juvenile common lizard as common lizards do have a range of skin tones from biscuit coloured to quite dark. There's plenty of them around here in the fens. Likewise, there's plenty of celery.

Top Bottom