Help lose weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
The other thing to be really aware of is the "secret" calories. That's the bar of chocolate / packet of crisps etc that you forget about when you review what you've eaten

Be brutally honest with what you eat and as Vickster says, record everything. Amazing just how much you do eat in calorie terms even when you are thinking you are eating healthily.

jay clock

Massive member
My Fitness Pal. And if you booze cut that out. And snacks. However the benefit of MFP is that you can have any crap you want as long as the cals are right. You can probably aim at 2700 cals a day and lose weight fast with that amount of walking

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I lost 2 stone this year by just eating reasonably sensibly, and by reducing the portion size of my meals. No diet, no ban on any types of foods or drink, just some control. Like cake? Fine, have one piece at the weekend as a treat, but not a piece every day. There's no mystery to this, you're exercising a lot, but you're clearly putting a massive amount of calories in too.
@Fab Foodie may be blunt with his point, but when you get over the offence you'll know deep down that he's right.

adamangler

Veteran
Calories in calories out is a fairly safe bet, its not as simple as that but if you nail that youll be pretty much there.

Cutting calories and changing your diet is very hard because you have adapted and have become addicted to a certain calorie consumption as well as probably sugars/bad foods etc.

I see it like quitting smoking or anything else. The first few weeks are the hardest as you rid your system of the crap and get it used to the good.

Start simple, having one less sugar in your tea, swapping a bag of crisps for an apple. most people fail because they go from eating say 3000kals of crisps, buns, mars bars and takeaway to overnight thinking they can eat 2000 cals of salad, lean meat, fruit and veg, yeh right haha you have to have insane will power to do it that way. Change your calorie intake and diet over the course of a month, plan it out, drop this here and there, swap one thing out for another and look at it as a long term commitmet, be patient

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
... and use smaller plates

There's real truth in that. I used smaller plates when I switched to smaller portion sizes. It's then much harder to pile on more pasta, rice etc.

OP: Just a warning, when you eventually go for the "less food" option, (which you'll have to) you will feel constantly hungry for about a week, but that's normal. If you eat big portions now, your stomach sac stretches and is always looking for the next big fill up. After a week on a portion controlled regime it starts to get smaller and you'll feel fuller after two thirds (or less) of the same meal. Just stick with it for a week or two at least, and see how you get on. When you're ravenous pre-meal, eat an apple or something and it honestly does the job.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Don't concentrate on eating less, concentrate on eating the right things. Cut out the spuds, bread and refined carbs like those stupid cereals you get in a box. Eat real food not processed and eat fat. A great breakfast is a three egg omlette with olive oil drizzled over it. This is an interesting article, good fats are good for you, refined carbs aren't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...30-years-of-flawed-dietary-advice-is-disastr/

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I've recently lost around 2 stone due to a change in mind-set. I started using a bike trainer which was great but I only really lost weight by thinking about what was going into my mouth. I have really cut down on carbs in my meals, increased veg and fruit hugely... great as they have lots of soluble fibre which keeps you fuller for longer as well as vitamins etc. I use lean protein such as chicken and pork, (The hairy dieters have some great recipes!) I have also stopped alcohol in the week and actually I haven't missed it which is great. Snacking is limited but not stopped.
I remind myself to be good in the week and sensible on the weekend and I'm losing over 1 kg per week without any fuss or stress. Good luck to all fellow dieters out there!

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articl...Common_Sense_Approach_To_Sound_Nutrition.html

"Calorie density is simply a measure of the amount of calories in a given weight of food, most often expressed as calories per pound. A food high in calorie density provides a large amount of calories in a small weight of food, whereas a food low in calorie density has much fewer calories for the same weight of food. Therefore, for the same number of calories, one can consume a larger portion of a food lower in calorie density than a food higher in calorie density. On a day-to-day basis, people generally eat a similar amount of food, by weight. Therefore, choosing foods with a lower calorie density allows us to consume our usual amount of food (or more) while reducing our caloric intake.

Foods low in calorie density also tend to be higher in satiety so by consuming foods lower in calorie density, one can fill up on much fewer calories without having to go hungry. In addition, the foods that are lower in calorie density (fruits, veggies, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and legumes) are also the foods highest in nutrient density. Therefore, by following a diet lower in calorie density, one also automatically consumes a diet higher in nutrient density. "

Caloric-Density-FINAL.jpg

6a00e54fc8012e8833017c3185242f970b-500wi.png

BrynCP

Über Member
I lost 6.5 stone (more than 33% of my body mass at that time) at the same age to go from obese to healthy in less than 1.5 yrs. The important factors were:

1. Motivation. Without motivation to lose the weight and exercise, not much is going to happen.
2. Cycling
3. Consuming less calories

I know most people would put (3) before (2), and ultimately that is correct. But, what really did it for me, was the exercise was hard work enough to make me consume the less calories. Let me explain: I started in late autumn. 10 miles cycling after work was an hour of my time, in the cold, and I was worn out by the time I finished and 16-20 miles weekend rides were just painful to begin with. The last thing in my mind after those rides was to indulge in unnecessary calories and undo my work so it all boosted my motivation. I don't want to stress the pain/hard-work too much, because as soon as I built up a bit of fitness (which you may already have) the cycling became enjoyable (I'm still here!) but still enough to make me watch my calories.

Unfortunately I had surgery this year and had to stay off my bike and added body mass. I am going through the same process again and have lost a stone in a month already. That has been down to motivation and vast (but healthy) reduction in calorie intake.

Top Bottom