Help me decide, or just be abusive instead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CentralCommuter

Here goes …

I’ve had the same stock seat on my Cube roadie for 5 years or so and it needs refreshed.
I’ve narrowed it down (through reviews and what looks nice) to a Charge Spoon or a Brooks Cambium C17. Both look nice, one is £30 and one is £80.
Anyway, anybody used both, have a similar bum to mine, and want to offer an opinion?

Of course, posters waxing lyrical about how pointless a post like this is also welcome, you need something to fill your evenings😃

No idea about the bum but I have a charge spoon onn my fixie and it's comfy. Buy that one first and see how you go.

raggydoll

Über Member
I have no experience of either but from looking online at both those options I'd give the charge spoon a shot. At £30 it seems a good deal, looks well made and gets good reviews.

Do either of your choices look similar to the one already on your cube in terms of shape etc?

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

Good point. The Charge looks like it a bit, but I wanted something comfier than the Cube one. That’s what attracted me to the Brooks - the cut away - as well as the fact it’s a Brooks and quite attractive.

raggydoll

Über Member
It's something I've never really thought about. I've never replaced a saddle but I think if I was happy with the saddle that is currently on it I'd look for something as close to that one as I could (depending on price of course).

I'm a creature of habit though!

I just did a google search for commuter saddle (given your name!:tongue:) and it is a minefield!

Bontrager has quite a few too that look quite padded.

Too much choice!

raggydoll

Über Member
This one do you?:laugh:

1623965266076.png

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

Presumably I could measure my own sit bones. I’m going to find a tape measure …
Just do the job properly and get your butt measured and then get the appropriate width saddle. :smile:

PS I have a Bontrager saddle - the retailers have a neat sit bone measuring device and there is some sort of money back comfort guarantee with them.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Presumably I could measure my own sit bones. I’m going to find a tape measure …

They are no good - you need to use the proper squishy gel pad measuring thingy. :rolleyes:

PS if you are determined to do it yourself you could bodge one up out of bacofoil and bread dough - although you won't get the big Bontrager colour coded gel reveal!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

After some intense 5 minute research, turns out measuring sit bones is fairly pointless. It will give you the optimal size if you sit bolt upright on a bike, but there are so many variables the only way to reliably get the right fit is trial and error. So the website tells me.

raggydoll

Über Member
I'm sitting here thinking:
'is there actually a squishy gel bum measuring tool?........nah....of course there isn't.........or is there?.......should I ask.....no, don't ask, you'll look stupid.....ok.....I won't ask!'

Top Bottom