Help me decide, or just be abusive instead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve got both - Cambium all the way for long rides for me. But that’s my arse’s opinion - yours may have other ideas 😀

Chislenko

Veteran
More of a Specialized Bum Rest man myself, always with a cut out. Currently using a Toupe....and no I don't put in on my head!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Charge Spoons feel like they're nipping my 'arris, I find them so uncomfortable and I feel sore on my sit bones after literally a couple of miles. I find the stock saddles from Giant and Bontrager are better for me than a Spoon.
But Brooks I do like, they're my overall favourite of all time. I've had a B17 for a long time now (10 years plus) and I'd buy Brooks again and again, if I ever needed to that is. Bloody subjectivity!

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
When I started cycling back i1951there wasn’t a lot of choice re saddles My bike came with a leather saddle.Can’t remember the make With leather saddles they do eventually shape to the contours of your bum. Back then I never had a problem with saddles also padded shorts were not the norm touring shorts or any shorts for that matter were normal It seems now you can spend a lot of time and money getting the correct saddle My current saddles are Sella Italia man Also consider your shorts.I find the padding in some shorts to thick and tend to go for shorts with less padding and find them more comfortable

I suppose after 60 years of cycling my arse has become tougher

dodgy

No point recommending saddles really, apart from build quality. Comfort is extremely personal and no more personal when it comes to saddles. One person's BeST SaDdLE EvARRR!!!! Is another's misery.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The words Brooks and attractive in one sentence ? Never heard that before.:laugh:

Brooks should be on old bone shakers, and not a Cube. Get the Spoon. They are great saddles.

postman

Legendary Member
Brooks bought November 1987 on my Spesh,but a Spoon on my Off road and no problems with it.Today cost would push me towards the Spoon.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I like Brooks saddles. Had mine for 4 years and it still looks as good as new.

I have heard that the price of them has gone up, but still the best IMHO.

Having said that, they are a bit like marmite and you definitively have to have a Brooks friendly derriere:laugh:.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
After some intense 5 minute research, turns out measuring sit bones is fairly pointless. It will give you the optimal size if you sit bolt upright on a bike, but there are so many variables the only way to reliably get the right fit is trial and error. So the website tells me.
You can do it yourself accurately, I've tested it against Fizik's in-shop official measuring system, which is a bench that you crouch onto while you're coached by the fitting assistant. On that bench is a gel pad with a sheet of paper that takes up colour where your bones exert the pressure, then they measure the gap. To do it at home, put a sheet of play-doh or blu tac between two sheets of baking parchment, and put it on something firm like a bench or one of the stairs at home. crouch onto it and lean forward roughly 45 degrees, and wiggle about a little. Measure the two dents centre to centre. I got the same measurement from both systems.

Top Bottom