Help me fault diagnose a washing machine!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drummerbod

Just turn off the hot feed if that one is the issue. The washing machine will use the cold and heat the water anyway. Hot feeds are only of use if the pipe run is short from the boiler\cylinder.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just turn off the hot feed if that one is the issue. The washing machine will use the cold and heat the water anyway. Hot feeds are only of use if the pipe run is short from the boiler\cylinder.
Not advisable where two feeds are fitted. The machine will be "asking for water" and not getting it. Next to follow will be the Logic Board. Harder to replace and then rewire correctly.

classic33

Leg End Member
superstar... a back-up plan for less than £20. :okay:
Cheaper still
S4A.JPG

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The generic solenoid arrived today... fitted and appears to be functioning as intended (hot water drawn in when it should)... so what i feared might cost me a few hundred quid for a new washing machine cost me just over a fiver. Big thanks to all for your help and advice :smile:

Now i can return to looking at that new PC I'm after.

Cyclists rock!

classic33

Leg End Member
Diy and a few good pointers ...
Used to fixing/maintaining my own.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
For a while now, the drum has been very slowly filling with water when the machine is not in use... at a rate of say 2" over ten days. I discovered that leaving the power switch 'on' instead of 'off' reduced the unwelcome self-fill rate by about 75%, to about 1/2" over ten days... so for the last few months i've been leaving it on and checking it regularly.

Big thanks to all for your help and advice :smile:
Cyclists rock!
Them cyclists may be rocking, this cyclist is asking herself " how it is possible not to do a wash for 10 whole days?" :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Them cyclists may be rocking, this cyclist is asking herself " how it is possible not to do a wash for 10 whole days?" :wacko:
Use the downstairs neighbours machine!

Most drums are around 18 inches in diameter. For it to fill, as described would take more than 10 days.

Top Bottom