help me get enough calories!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For cryin' out loud! Haven't any of you heard about the wide range of special foods available for convalescents who want to regain strength and weight?

There's a whole section in Boots where they sell stuff like Complan drinks (best cold) and Build Up soup. We carry them on MTB trailquest events as a lightweight and easy way to get some extra calories down on the overnight stop.

Also have a look for Orgran pasta: http://www.orgran.com/pasta/gluten-free-pasta.html

This is pasta made not from wheat but from mixtures of grains and pulses, which have a chemically synergistic effect like beans on brown toast or humous on bread and give you much more benefit than straight wheat. It's nice to eat and quick to cook, lighter as well.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
cheers Rigid, I did look at all the compan stuff in Boots, but wasn't sure it was the way to go. I will look for that pasta though and this "build up soup" stuff.

jimboalee

Rigid Raider said:
For cryin' out loud! Haven't any of you heard about the wide range of special foods available for convalescents who want to regain strength and weight?

Yes, but they remind me of being sick.

Most Carbs are 4 kCals/gram, so it's the weight of the stuff you're after.

Make some Bird's custard that ends up near solid - 4 times the recommended concentration - and spoon it down your neck.:smile:

jimboalee

Before my Land's End to John O'Groats ride, I wrote to McDonalds with hope of getting some sponsorship.

I offered to wear red and yellow Jerseys with "Powered by Big Macs" printed on them. :smile:

I didn't get a response. :tongue:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Before my Land's End to John O'Groats ride, I wrote to McDonalds with hope of getting some sponsorship.

I offered to wear red and yellow Jerseys with "Powered by Big Macs" printed on them. :smile:

I didn't get a response. :biggrin:

be thankful for small mercies mate :tongue:

Globalti

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
The trouble with hard custard, you have to swill it down with full sugar raspberryade to make it taste like Trifle.

Or add some cake, full fat cream and sherry?

jimboalee

I have just remembered.

There are 24 pizzas in my freezer.

I was in Tesco about two months ago and they had a pile of thin crust pizzas on the 'Reduced' shelf.
I bought the lot and put them in my freezer.

They are about 850 kCals each, just right for brekky before a 100 km ride.

Also, there might be some 'bite size' Cornish Pasties and packs of sausage rolls, both about 900 kCals per pack.

vorsprung

Veteran
I suppose some people find it difficult to gain weight because they don't like eating food that piles on the pounds

I have the opposite problem but lets get some more suggestions

1) a glass of wine each day won't do you any harm the calories go on as fat due to the way it is metabolised
2) To loose weight I have a large breakfast, moderate lunch and try and lay off carbohydrate rich foods in the evening. The idea is that the activity in the day will burn off the energy in the food. I suggest you do the reverse.
Have a light breakfast, high in fat. Crossaints are great for this
Have a moderately large lunch. I don't know what you normally have but just add a packet of peanuts
Have lots of carbs at dinner time.
3) The americans are the most overweight nation on earth. I suggest you go on holiday there and have all orders at resturants "with cheese" and visit the "house of pancakes" as often as possible

jimboalee

vorsprung said:
I suppose some people find it difficult to gain weight because they don't like eating food that piles on the pounds

I have the opposite problem but lets get some more suggestions

1) a glass of wine each day won't do you any harm the calories go on as fat due to the way it is metabolised
2) To loose weight I have a large breakfast, moderate lunch and try and lay off carbohydrate rich foods in the evening. The idea is that the activity in the day will burn off the energy in the food. I suggest you do the reverse.
Have a light breakfast, high in fat. Crossaints are great for this
Have a moderately large lunch. I don't know what you normally have but just add a packet of peanuts
Have lots of carbs at dinner time.
3) The americans are the most overweight nation on earth. I suggest you go on holiday there and have all orders at resturants "with cheese" and visit the "house of pancakes" as often as possible

Do you mean the ihop ???

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
a glass of wine a day... can that become two?

Was a bit concerned about the dehydrating effect of wine, but calories are calories :wacko:

Ben M

The most bearable way is to eat more often, rather than chucking in loads of scoff at the same time.

Something like:

Breakfast: bowl of cereal, piece of fruit, whey shake
mid-morning: fruit, yoghurt and some nuts
lunch: something like a couple of chicken or tuna sandwiches
mid-afternoon: nuts and fruit
dinner: usual dinner stuff (some carbs (pasta, rice or spuds) some meat, and some veg)
before bed: whey shake with milk

That's a pretty protein rich diet, which will help you gain lean mass rather than just piling on flab. If you want to gain some fat mass as well, just increase the amount of fatty things in your diet, like a nice pudding after your evening meal. Or bacon and eggs for breakfast...mmmm

I am, of course, assuming that you have your gym routine pretty sorted as well, otherwise you'll be putting on pretty much just flab.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
yeah, I do plenty of exercise, and that appears to be the reason for losing the weight in the first place... too much out and too little in.

jimboalee

To be honest, you must be the first person I've heard say "I don't eat enough".

On a serious exercise regime ( even the pro team cyclists ), checking bodyweight on the scales is a daily ritual. Same time of day after morning dump, same clothing ( pref naked ).
If weight is down, eat more. If weight is up, eat less.

Of course the team's nutritionalist will have all the team member's personal BMR details from months of lab testing, and set out a menu which meets the days requirement.
If you get a chance to see a cycling team eat breakfast, it looks like a free-for-all bun fight, but its all prepared and counted.

Buy a set of good scales. Check daily and look at your musculature in a full length mirror. Pinch the skinfold at your lowest rib. As a rough guide, 1mm = 1% fat. That's a real 'rough' guide.
Pro cyclists have a skinfold there of about 10mm. Lesser cyclists can be 12 - 14 mm.

As for riding a bike on the public road, somewhere between 40 and 50 kCals/mile is a reasonable usage.

Bon apetite :rolleyes:

Top Bottom