help me get enough calories!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Ben M said:
If you want to gain some fat mass as well, just increase the amount of fatty things in your diet, like a nice pudding after your evening meal. Or bacon and eggs for breakfast...mmmm

The jury's out on this.

Calories are calories.

peanut

this thread is so unfair :rolleyes::sad::laugh: I have to count the calories of everything I eat and I haven't eaten a burger or pizza for years :laugh::sad::sad:
I only have to look at the huge biscuit tin at work and I pile on 5 lbs :rolleyes:

My whole life revolves around food and being hungry and over-weight :rolleyes:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
hehehe sorry peanut, it does seem all the info out there is "how to lose weight" and not alot on how to gain weight. Especially when you dont just want to eat junk and sugars and pile on the wrong stuff.

Ben M

jimboalee said:
The jury's out on this.

Calories are calories.

Sorry, that came across wrong. The assumption that I was making was that bacon and eggs will contain more calories than a bowl of porridge, and of course than a meal on its own has fewer calories than the same meal followed by cheesecake...

jimboalee

Ben M said:
Sorry, that came across wrong. The assumption that I was making was that bacon and eggs will contain more calories than a bowl of porridge, and of course than a meal on its own has fewer calories than the same meal followed by cheesecake...

Are you sure about that?

How many eggs?
How much bacon?

What size bowl of porridge?

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
yeah I have been considering adding to the morning porridge in some way, bacon sarnies... mmmmmm red or brown sauce though, with an egg it has to be HP. :laugh:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Are you sure about that?

How many eggs?
How much bacon?

What size bowl of porridge?

as a guide a standard bowl of porridge is only about 160 calories.

a bacon and egg sarnie is about 390! and a heck of a lot tastier :laugh:

jimboalee

johnnyh said:
as a guide a standard bowl of porridge is only about 160 calories.

a bacon and egg sarnie is about 390! and a heck of a lot tastier :biggrin:

Get off :biggrin:

100g of dry porridge oats is 360 kCals. (Jimbo's normal portion)
400 ml milk is 240 kCals
2 spoons of granulated is 40 kCals.

That's 640 kCals for a dish of the oatie stuff.

3 eggs, 240 kCals
6 bacon, 300 kCals (Jimbo's normal breakfast)

540 kCals on the plate.

You're not going to ride a bike far on just 30g of oats with a splash of milk;)

stephenjubb

Über Member
peanut butter. gorgeous

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Get off :ohmy:

You're not going to ride a bike far on just 30g of oats with a splash of milk;)

hahahaha eeem how can I put this, errr the amount of porridge I use is indeed 30g ... just went and measured the cup thingy :biggrin:

I feel I eat a ladies portion sir :biggrin: :laugh:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
indeed, and hence the doc suggesting a lack of in for out, given that I will go out and rattle off 20 to 40 miles dependant on if I have 1 to 2 hours to ride give or take 15 mins.

it has been quite a revelation to discover that what I considered to be a healthy diet lacks enough fuel.

still, made it to 3000 calories yesterday and am over the 1500 mark today. Haven't ridden in 3 days, so perhaps I have added a few reserves to the tank.

jimboalee

johnnyh said:
indeed, and hence the doc suggesting a lack of in for out, given that I will go out and rattle off 20 to 40 miles dependant on if I have 1 to 2 hours to ride give or take 15 mins.

it has been quite a revelation to discover that what I considered to be a healthy diet lacks enough fuel.

still, made it to 3000 calories yesterday and am over the 1500 mark today. Haven't ridden in 3 days, so perhaps I have added a few reserves to the tank.

Don't forget the daily weigh-in and the quick pinch test.

The weigh-in will be immediate, but the amount of skinfold you pinch will increase 2 days after eating if you don't work if off straight away.

peanut said:
this thread is so unfair :sad::sad::sad: I have to count the calories of everything I eat and I haven't eaten a burger or pizza for years :sad::sad::sad:
I only have to look at the huge biscuit tin at work and I pile on 5 lbs :wahhey:

My whole life revolves around food and being hungry and over-weight :rolleyes:

Tell me about it, Peanut.:sad:
Johnny owes me lunch but I just can't face it!
I ate my own bodyweight in jellybabies the other day whilst he was telling me how hard he finds it to hit 3000 cals a day.(btw,thanks for that Boab :?: ) I just don't know what his problem is.
Other than eating like a lady....:biggrin::laugh: .(mind you, all the ladies I know eat more than Johnny..)

Some people...eh?:biggrin:

Top Bottom