help me get enough calories!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
So the doc has me keeping a diary of input v output, calories in v exercise.

The idea being to see if I can regain a little weight (about 10 lbs or so). We identified I need approx 2800 to 3080 calories a day as a target...:thumbsdown:

So far I have only managed to get over the 3000 calorie mark on one day in the last 2 weeks, and that saw me eating a large can of rice pudding at 10pm... and feeling like Mr Creosote as a result.;)

(the days intake to get there was porridge, croissant with jam, tea, milkshake, banana, pasta salad, chicken ham and pasta lunch, tea, lasagne, milkshake, jam doughnut and the rice pudding - with various glasses of water chucked in through out the day).

Now it might be me, but I am finding it nigh on impossible to eat this kind of amount of food.

So, can anyone suggest some high calorie foods, low in sugar, that might help me in my quest?

Cheers all.

mr Mag00

rising member
i iwsh i had that problem you can have some of my excess weight. carbs are the best thing i would imagine, pasta?

montage

God Almighty
Peanuts do actually contain a high amount of fat.....or at least they burn longer over a bunsen burner due to fatty bits in them.

I would'nt go stuffing your face with chocolate bars as this is just pure unhealthy...obviously keep eating healthy foods! Done little things such as replacing semi-skimmed milk with full fat?

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
yep, and started adding protein powder to milk and using it to make milkshakes and all that kind of thing.

I used a few calculators to calculate calorie burn on rides and I can see where I am dipping out on it compared to intake.
I don't have a sweet tooth and have no want to have high sugar items, and I always thought I ate well, or atleast I eat a sensible balanced diet... but not well enough to do the riding I want and maintain (or now increase) my weight.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
the doc highlighted the possible lack of balance between in and out, so the diary has been kept as a first step to looking at this, and having calculated in v out I can see a lack on the in side.

I am sure the doc will suggest things when I see her in a weeks time, but I think a forum of cyclists is a good place to ask for real world practical advice on diet linked to sustained cycling.

Goffins

I don't know about exact foods but I have modified my approach to various ingredients.

Full fat milk instead of the Semi skimmed which I was brought up on, full fat butter instead of marge, I eat a toasted ham and cheese sandwich before bed {which I can't really advise as it does disrupt my snooze}.

I've switched from lager to Guiness and I've stocked up on snacky food at home which usually I can live without.

It's difficult I know, I've managed to stabilise my weight at bang on 10 Stone; I did ask for some advice on here but got very little with regards to high calorie foods that weren't loaded with saturates.

Little and often is the key if you find massive meals a chore, also try and avoid foods that speed up the digestion process {eg high fibre}.
I've found that slightly less than ripe bananas slow down my metabolism, presumeably because of the higher starch content.

I'm pretty much winging it as my BMI is ok so I'll not bother any of the useless feckin GP's at my medical center who would diagnose a Gun shot wound as eczema.

So if you get any good advice on various foodstuffs I'd be interested to hear!

Good luck.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
cheers for that, the weight I am happiest at is 10 stone, but currently is is dropped down to under 9.5 and I can't seem to make it back up again.

My doc was really good and has had me for blood tests etc, so I go and see her again in a week for the results and to run through the food in v exercise diary.
If she gives me some good pointers I'll let you know.

jimboalee

Try soaking an entire box of Alpen in Jersey goldtop overnight, then for breakfast, pour a whole squeezey of honey on it. Add a 2lb bag of brown sugar and enjoy.

peanut

I'll swop you for my diet johhny ;)

Breakfast bowl of cereal
lunch 1x apple 1x cupasoup
dinner fish & 4x veg (no carbs)
supper 1x bowl of cereal
no snacks chocs cakes biscuits chips or takeawys ever:sad::biggrin::sad::sad:

Still not losing weight so I can give you 10 lbs of mine :biggrin:

Top Bottom