help me get enough calories!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
hahaha just worked out I am nearly on target for the day after a big Chinese meal out and a couple of lagers... of course the idea of trying to ride after all that food is pure fantasy :becool:

plank

I can't eat more than 50g of oats as porridge without feeling sick.

My solution is 50g oats, 50g whey, 2 banans 2 kiwis and enough milk to get it the consistency you like all blended together. Nice breakfast then 6 oatcakes and peanut butter and more whey when I get to work after cycle and gym!

Hand blenders are really good, easier to clean than liqudisers.

peanut

how can you struggle to put on weight for crissakes ? it ain't fair.:cheers:
Just come over and eat my daily intake and I guarantee you'll soon weigh 17stone like me :biggrin:

peanut said:
how can you struggle to put on weight for crissakes ? it ain't fair.;)
Just come over and eat my daily intake and I guarantee you'll soon weigh 17stone like me :biggrin:

Calm yourself Peanut...you're in good company.:sun: (edited to add - er not the 17 stone bit but the general inability to understand how someone can struggle to gain weight...)

Johnny is one of those annoying people who just burns calories at a ridiculous rate. He never stays still, and doesn't know how to chill. I've tried to teach him, but he even works too hard at relaxing. Pointless. :biggrin:

If it helps, try imagining that he's just got a huge tapeworm...works for me...:cheers::laugh:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
hahaha tapeworm! :biggrin:

Accy

enough calories

Do yourself a favour buy any books by sports nutritionist Anita Bean or Nancy Clark they contain plenty of specific meal plans and handy tips for adding more calories if required

pimptovimto

Hi, I suffer from an identical problem, weight gain has always been a problem for me even although until recently I did very little excersise, in my case it is related to high motabalism, lack of diet control and also lack of commitment. Recently I talked to a few freinds of mine who are big into nutrition and they recommended a weight gainer specifically one made by CNP, its called Pro Mass(they have a good web site with a good forum). I have had a great deal of success using this, managing to put on a much as 10 pounds in less that 3 weeks, this was not just down to the weight gainer I had to up my normal food intake as well. I aim for about 3000 a day as well but I regularly dont achieve this which dissappoints me! I have found that to maintain weight I need to take in between 2000 and 2500 a day.

One thing I have found is that my body weight can change greatly from day to day, even hour to hour, all food types(fat, protiens, carbs,WATER) are absorbed by the body at different rates, I weight my self far to often but really only pay attention to my weight on a Tuesday morning and this is what I use to guage my gains.

Another thing I have found and this has been the best hidden gain, is the increase in energy and as a result happiness and wellbeing, I dont want to make a big deal of it cause its a bit girly, but the change in me has been noticeable.

I know how tough it is, in many ways I believe it to be more difficult to put on than to take off if you are a hard gainer.

Best of luck

PV

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
cheers for that, sounds like a similar problem with fast metabolism. Do you find the weight gain goes on in the correct places and is sustainable, or if you forget the weight gainer and switch to a "regular" diet does the weight drop off again?

pimptovimto

From my experience, if you sit and do nothing it will go on in the wrong places, but if you are active then it just fuels your body, all food is made up of Fats, Protiens and Carbs, depending on what you want to achieve you need different amounts of each thats why a body builder will have a very different diet to a cyclist. I have found that eating often really make a difference, I "try" to eat on the hour every hour but its really difficult and without a supplement it is nigh on impossble for me to consume 3000 calories a day unless I ate junk food.

Have a look at the CNP web site and forum, there is a section caled ask kelly which has some good advice and info in there.

PV

Top Bottom