help me get enough calories!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Johnnyh-I want your body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ahem....:biggrin:....what I mean is id love your metabolism, maybe your just born to be a racing snake!!:ohmy:

I mentioned this thread to a dietitian and this was her reply to me.

Would advise you to ask your GP to refer you onto a registered dietitian. Most doctors have little formal nutrition educational training so their advice is not always optimum. Although I am a dietitian I am not a sports dietitian but here are a few general pointers for increasing calories in general.

You need to ensure you are eating enough carbs to replenish your glycogen stores if you are training regularly. ie always include them at breakfast, lunch, evening meal and supper

Remember that not all fats are bad for you if you are active and are struggling to maintain your weight. Fats do contain a concentrate source of calories 9 kcal per gram. Choose fats labelled as high in monounsaturates eg olive oil, rapeseed oil, well known brands of mayonnaise, peanut butter, etc and use them generously in cooking/preparing food
eg if having tuna sandwich have a tuna mayonnaise sandwich on thick bread with plenty of 'olive oil' type margarine eg olivio/supermarket own brand

If having meat/potatoes/veg choose lean meat but add extra margarine to potatoes/vegetables

Try and include regular puddings at least 2 per day. ( If you enjoy muffins some of these contain 400-500 kcal per muffin. Obviously not the healthiest but a great way to increase calories in a small volume)!

I've not read all the threads but about 13 years ago (god time flies) I came down with Prancreatitis (alcoholics disease, I wouldn't of minded but I didn't drink then). Basically, I think, the pancreas lets out acid to break down food for digestion, mine was leaking and breaking down my stomach; I lost about 2 stone in less than two months. To build me back up the gp prescribed some milk shake like things, they tasted rank though :blush:

peanut

magnatom said:
eg if having tuna sandwich have a tuna mayonnaise sandwich on thick bread with plenty of 'olive oil' type margarine eg olivio/supermarket own brand

why margarine ? it contains lots of preservatives and e numbers and its tasteless yuk ;) Whats wrong with a natural unadulterated tasty food full of goodness like butter :biggrin:

peanut said:
why margarine ? it contains lots of preservatives and e numbers and its tasteless yuk ;) Whats wrong with a natural unadulterated tasty food full of goodness like butter :biggrin:

I'd have to ask, but I assume it is to do with the type of oil in margarine being better for you (i.e. more monounsaturates).

Anyway, surely as we get older, we need more preservatives. :ohmy:

peanut

magnatom said:
I'd have to ask, but I assume it is to do with the type of oil in margarine being better for you (i.e. more monounsaturates).

Anyway, surely as we get older, we need more preservatives. :biggrin:

;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: too late nothing worth preserving :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

I jumped on the margerine bandwaggon 20 years ago without doing any original research . For years I eat no butter convinced it was bad for me.

There is nothing bad about butter wheras there is plenty of undesirable constituents in magarines .I know which I would prefer to spread on my toast ...if I was allowed any toast :sad:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
thanks for all the replies all, good stuff and the doc has offered me to see a dietitian if I am in the same boat in 3 weeks time after a 2nd lot of bloods are done.
Good news is the first bloods showed me to be fine and dandy but just a tad dehydrated.
Am definitiely not suffering any diabetes, this was a concern cause it existed in my Mothers side of the family, so I was pleased to be given the all clear.

at least the weight has stabilised and hasnt dropped any further, maybe I am just a racing snake :ohmy:

Goffins

johnnyh said:
thanks for all the replies all, good stuff and the doc has offered me to see a dietitian if I am in the same boat in 3 weeks time after a 2nd lot of bloods are done.
Good news is the first bloods showed me to be fine and dandy but just a tad dehydrated.
Am definitiely not suffering any diabetes, this was a concern cause it existed in my Mothers side of the family, so I was pleased to be given the all clear.

at least the weight has stabilised and hasnt dropped any further, maybe I am just a racing snake :biggrin:

Glad to hear everything is ok, hopefully things will happen in a similar fashion to myself. I dropped to just under 10, managed to stabalise with some over-eating and have now hit 10,3 and I'm finding it much easier to maintain this weight, I plan to get to 10 and a half stone then rethink my diet.

I'm not a Doctor but perhaps I was carrying more fat than I expected and the new weight is muscle mass. I'm still quite lean but I'm looking a little stronger and toned.

Keep us informed.

jimboalee

Some of my posts here may sound a little off-the-cuff.

You need to be eating 50 kCals per mile in addition to your Basal Metabolic Rate, plus some extra – 300 per day – to get some weight gain.
Split it 60 % carbs, 30 % protein and 10% fats.

You are an Ectomorph, a naturally slim person. The nerves in the upper part of your stomach send signals to your brain to stop eating when you have not eaten much. You must ignore these and eat to the spreadsheet you are about to construct.

If you ride on average 30 miles per day, you need to eat 1500 cals for this. 800 of these should be added to the evening meal previous. 400 for breakfast 2 hours before the ride, and the rest during the ride ADDED to your BMR and the 300 cals extra to gain weight.

My calcs say 1500 + 1400 BMR + 300 = 3200 cals per day.

Before a pro race, notice the riders have a little 'pot belly'. This is the result of their 2500 calorie breakfast.
The eight riders on the USPS team got rid of 48 weetabix, a gallon of milk, two loaves of bread, a squeezy honey each and four jars of marmalade. 2 eggs on toast each and at least 2 Danish pastries each for breakfast before stage 1 of the 1998 TdeF.

I keep mentioning this because it absolutely amazed me :laugh:. I'm a Mesomorph and I couldn't eat that much for breakfast every day. xx(

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
ooof! that is a breakfast and a half!!!

I have at least got to the stage where I get a hungry/sick feeling if I dont eat regularly - as opposed to before when I could go all day on a cup of tea and survive.

Am taking the food on with less effort and seem to be up 1kg!!! :ohmy: GO JOHNNY!!! :smile:

I've found Frijj type shakes at 325 calories a bottle are a good source of calories, quite nice too :smile:

peanut

jimboalee said:

You need to be eating 50 kCals per mile in addition to your Basal Metabolic Rate, plus some extra – 300 per day – to get some weight gain.
Split it 60 % carbs, 30 % protein and 10% fats.

Y

there is no single magic formula for a sensible eating plan Jimbo .

Everybody is different. it depends on an individuals lifestyle ,physiology,mental and physical health and probably lots of other things as well .

Certain body types may have a tendency towards certain eating, exercise ,lifestyle patterns but there is no hard and fast rules.

You can be thin, ill and very unfit and you can be fat and very fit and healthy . Life just isn't so simple you can reduce it to a formula. They are just helpful guides , a starting point is all.

To give an example many people suffer with underactive thyroid glands without knowing it. This can have the effect of considerable weight loss and thyroxin is often administered by Doctors to promote weight loss in certain circumstances. Particulary prior to surgery for example where a dramatic weight loss is required.

Hypo-thyroidism is more common than peopl think and is frequently not picked up in routine blood tests because the Doctor would not request it unless there were specific indications .
Doctors missed Hypo-thyroidism with me for many years. They also missed an underactive liver because it was never tested for .

jimboalee

peanut said:
there is no single magic formula for a sensible eating plan Jimbo .

Everybody is different. it depends on an individuals lifestyle ,physiology,mental and physical health and probably lots of other things as well .

Certain body types may have a tendency towards certain eating, exercise ,lifestyle patterns but there is no hard and fast rules.

You can be thin, ill and very unfit and you can be fat and very fit and healthy . Life just isn't so simple you can reduce it to a formula. They are just helpful guides , a starting point is all.

To give an example many people suffer with underactive thyroid glands without knowing it. This can have the effect of considerable weight loss and thyroxin is often administered by Doctors to promote weight loss in certain circumstances. Particulary prior to surgery for example where a dramatic weight loss is required.

Hypo-thyroidism is more common than peopl think and is frequently not picked up in routine blood tests because the Doctor would not request it unless there were specific indications .
Doctors missed Hypo-thyroidism with me for many years. They also missed an underactive liver because it was never tested for .

No doubt you are right Peanut.

Johnnyh has seen his GP and gone on a calorie boost diet.

He has come onto CycleChat to ask how cyclists in particular boost their calorie intake.
I'm sorry it came over like I was dictating some formulae.

In fairness, the answer to the nutrition question is very complex and nutritionalists all over the world are making vast amounts of money from helping thin people get big and fat people get slim.

BTW, there is no requirement for any formal qualifications to call yourself a 'Nutritionalist'.

I have never perported to be such a person and can only forward my encouragement to Johnnyh by repeating what is printed in health publications the world over.

If Johnnyh has a serious condition, I hope it is detected early.

In the meantime, eat merrily Johnnyh and take no notice of me now.

jimboalee

johnnyh said:
ooof! that is a breakfast and a half!!!

I have at least got to the stage where I get a hungry/sick feeling if I dont eat regularly - as opposed to before when I could go all day on a cup of tea and survive.

Am taking the food on with less effort and seem to be up 1kg!!! ;) GO JOHNNY!!! :evil:

I've found Frijj type shakes at 325 calories a bottle are a good source of calories, quite nice too :smile:

Did you get a taste of the Cookie Dough flavour Frijj? I got 1 bottle and then Tesco were sold out the next day.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
hehehe I am having the Strawberry Frijj, I looked at the cookie one and thought it would be ever so slightly sickly.

Heck, don't stop with the opinions and advice though, I read it all and take it all in.

Top Bottom