Help ME!!!!! Im Useless On Rollers!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

ive just bought a set of rollers and i am crap on them!!! its so difficult!!!

is there a knack to it? or is it just keep trying?

thanks

GilesM

Legendary Member
Look straight ahead and at a definate point, hold the centre of the bars right up by the stem, have a wall next to you to hold while you get up to speed, ride quite a high gear to make sure the wheels are spinning fairly fast, and practise.

Have fun

jasper

Adjust your rollers for the bike you will be using. Generally, you want the front drum to be just ahead of the front hub.2
Make sure your tyres are in good condition and properly inflated.

Set your rollers up next to a table, counter or in a door frame. You want to be able to catch yourself if you start to fall. Be sure to place yourself away from sharp or dangerous objects, in case you do happen to fall.

Understand that when you ride rollers, you have no momentum. If you do fall off at speed, you won't fly into the TV at 30 mph; you'll just flop over.

Put the bike on the rollers, get on the bike and clip into the pedals.
Relax. Take a deep breath.
Start in a high gear. When you improve, you'll be able to pedal in very low gears, but in the beginning, it helps to use bigger gears.
Start pedaling while still holding onto the table, counter or door frame. Get the wheels up to speed. The faster the wheels are going, the easier it is to balance.
Let go of the table, counter or door frame.
Concentrate on your spin. Keep it smooth.
Try not to look down. You may watch the front wheel, but many people find that it's easiest to fix on a point a few yards ahead.
Shift gears when you start getting comfortable.
Have fun. Soon you'll be able to ride no-handed.

OP
OP
S

steve23

thanks for the tips! ive been riding next to a wall!!!

but i manage about 1 to 3 mins then i find it so hard to concentrate!!! i wobble everywhere!

so faster means easier!?!?!?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rule 99....Get a turbo in the first place.........

Had rollers - remember coming of at 30 mph in the garage...... hmmmmm.. cue going into the other end of the garage at speed................

Turbo..go eye balls out and still stay on.

Rule 100. Bin turbo/rollers and commute to work every day...... or even, shock horror, ride it on the road............ DO IT !!!!!!

OP
OP
S

steve23

fossyant Rule 99....Get a turbo in the first place.........

Had rollers - remember coming of at 30 mph in the garage...... hmmmmm.. cue going into the other end of the garage at speed................

Turbo..go eye balls out and still stay on.

Rule 100. Bin turbo/rollers and commute to work every day...... or even, shock horror, ride it on the road............ DO IT !!!!!!

WTF!!?? ive got a turbo too, AND i ride a lot on the road!
ive bought them to improve my balance, co-ordination and pedalling!!!

jasper

Ignore the naysayers, rollers and turbos are excellant training aids. It's not all about the miles but also about the quality of what you put in.

Like jasper said, adjust the rollers length so that the front roller is slightly ahead of the front hub, so the front wheel is going slightly 'up' the rear of the roller and not 'down' the front of it - this will make the steering far less twichy.

You will not come off forwards or backwards at 30mph...complete urban (cycling) myth.

But you might well come off sideways, so find yourself a nice narrow doorframe, position the rollers in it so your shoulders/upper arms/elbows are in the doorframe, then you can elbow yourself off or lean against the doorframe if you shoot sideways.

In time you'll be doing hands-free one-legged drills
(well maybe : I do one-legged drills and I ride the TT bike on the aerobars, but as for hands free...:biggrin:)

OP
OP
S

steve23

cheers for the tips!

i managed 20mins after my training ride today! only nervous moment i had was when i went to itch my face, it nearly ended in tears!!!

i might try it in the door frame, see if that helps!

Top Bottom