Help: Mobile Phone Advice Needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've got two gadgets: a nokia mobile phone which rarely gets used (my operating concept for it is that it is a phone box in my pocket and it has not been switched on for a year) and a Palm Tungsten hand held which contains a diary and lists of contacts etc. which I use quite a bit.

I buy credit for the phone now and then as opposed to having a contract.

My question is that if I buy one of the palm mobiles which does all the Tungsten does and is a phone as well as being an email thing, will I be able to just transfer the SIM card from my Nokia to it and carry on topping up now and then? I guess that there would have to be some sort of contract if I wanted the email facility. Is it possible to get one just for that?

In other words has anybody got an idea of the best deal for somebody who would rarely phone but who occasionally would like to check his emails?

Renard

Can't help with the gizmo advice but check your SIM still works. If you haven't switched it on for a year the provider might have cut you off.

woohoo

Veteran
Keith Oates said:
Out here if you don't use a phone for a year (actually 3 months) you lose the sim card and the money that was in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had the same happen with an O2 PAYG SIM in the UK which they timed out after 6 months and pocketed the £5 credit. It was a phone kept for emergency use by one of my kids. Needless to say I told O2 where to put their SIM.

What do use the Tungsten for? If it's just e-mail and you don't have any Palm specific applications I would say go for a different phone device as the Palm ones aren't great.

I don't have a specific recommendation because it all moves on so fast that in 3 months everything has changed but I wouldn't stick with the Palm if you're combining it with a phone as well.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Crackle said:
What do use the Tungsten for? If it's just e-mail and you don't have any Palm specific applications I would say go for a different phone device as the Palm ones aren't great.

I don't have a specific recommendation because it all moves on so fast that in 3 months everything has changed but I wouldn't stick with the Palm if you're combining it with a phone as well.

I use the Tungsten thing basically as a diary and library of contacts. It's never even occurred to me to use it for emailing (I guess that would be via the Dialer function). I'm very pleased with what I do use it for. What is it about the phones that's supposed to be not too hot? If it can send and receive calls and the odd SMS, then it will meet my needs.

Andy tricky one to advise. The Palm Centro is better than the previous Trio's, here's a review but there are smaller and better devices on the market. However if you are really not going to use it as a camera, view videos or browse the web then it fits the bill.

I also used a friends Windows based Smartphone a while back and I have to say the whole thing was easier to set up and get synchronizing with the PC than my Palm was.

Look at the Blackberry's for instance.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Sorry bonjy, I've had a look at that and it looks a bit naff as it hasn't got a keyboard.

Crackle, thanks for the advice and link. I think I still favour a palm because I know and like the software i.e. you don't have to be an übergeek to make it work. I think I'll try to get a play with one before I make my mind up.

Top Bottom