Help needed identifying pendant - with a swastika in it!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
My MIL has had to move into a care home due to dementia, she is 93 as fit as a butcher's dog but her mind has regressed back to her childhood.

My wife and her younger sister have had to clear out the flat. While putting all the jewellery away in one jewellery box, they came across this pendant. It was not hidden but neither had seen it before. The pendant looks homemade as the the actual swastika is held on to the frame with gold wires, quite crude.

At first they thought it was Indian as MIL family has a military connection to India. But further investigation ruled that out.

No-one has any connection to Germany, her brother was a WWII fighter pilot and never got closer to Germany than dogfights with ME109s.

We would love some suggestion as to who or what to approach for more information.

midlife

Guru
Is it back to front or does it spin round. I thought the nazi symbol was the mirror of that pendant?

Buck

Guru
It may have nothing to do with Germany/Nazis as the symbol is an ancient one that was appropriated by the Nazis and their movement. Some say the four points represent the four elements of earth, fire, air and water and is of either Nordic or Buddhist origin.

There was a programme about it a while back which outlined the above far more eloquently then I have!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd say Hindu too.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
In Hinduism, the symbol with arms pointing clockwise (卐) is called swastika, symbolizing surya ('sun'), prosperity and good luck, while the counterclockwise symbol (卍) is called sauvastika, symbolizing night or tantric aspects of Kali.

Our simple cross legged pose in yoga is called swastikasana..

Or sometimes sukhasana.

Them Nazis, sullied a good thing, but we can reclaim it. :angel:

Drago

Legendary Member
Not that I'm an expert, but I seem to recall the Hindu swastika was presented as a square, stood on a flat side, and a nazzy one was presented as a diamond, rotated to stand on a corner.

Top Bottom